BootsnAll Travel Network



Cannoli Competition: Bronx style

Brooke vs. White Plains

I have been in contact with another BnA-er, gettingouttahere (Laurie), for quite some time now. It was great coming to New York because we actually got to meet in person. The week of my birthday we met up at her place in the Bronx for a cookout, and she definitely surprised me with my favorite dessert – cannoli!

Her place is in a highly Italian neighborhood, so she got some from a pretty great Italian bakery. However, they were mini-cannoli, so I’ll have to speculate on satisfaction in relation to the normal size cannoli:

Scoring is based on 1-5 (5 being the best).

Presentation: Well, I’m kind of biased on this part since it was presented as a surprise to me. I believe, however, I saw these packaged in the fridge in a cute little pasty box from the bakery. Laurie then put them on a silver platter and brought them outside. The pastries themselves were very typical. Score = 4.

Filling: The filling was authentic ricotta goodness – not runny and with choc chips throughout. Score = 5.

Shell: The shells were crisp and either plain with powdered sugar, or coated in chocolate. Score = 4.

Satisfaction: It’s hard to compete with mini-cannoli. I’d probably have to eat 3 to have the same amount of satisfaction as a normal-sized cannoli. Score = 3.

Overall Score: 16/20

These were definitely up there on my list, but I think I would have to venture out for the larger ones! 🙂



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *