BootsnAll Travel Network



And so it is

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, wearily, merrily

Life is but a dream.

Warm greetings from the cold city of Kiev. Ah, I sense you are surprised. Allow me to explain. As Christmas came closer and closer and the time my family would depart from me grew night, I had to admit to myself that I had no where to go after they left. Getting nervous that the job in Damascus would not pan out, I just went ahead and booked a train ticket to Ukraine (this, of course before I found out Russia would be cutting off their natural gas supply…whoops.). The train took two nights from Prague and has left me badly in need of a shower. Luckily, I believe Russia and Ukraine have come to some sort of agreement, so there should be hot water. I’ve booked 6 nights at a hostel here, just to make sure I like the place. One of my main objectives of straying and working in one place for a while is to improve one of the languages I hope to learn. My Russian could indeed use a little brushing up, so what better time or place to do it than here…I mean, Russia might be a good place too, but visas are difficult. So what better place. This week will be devoted to finding a job, and if that works (ha…job…works…get it? ) finding an apt. At least that is the plan for now. First impressions of Kiev: Cold, but not unbearable; about as cold as Berlin was (more on that later). Crowded to beat the band. I have never seen a subway so packed, and I’m not talking the cars, I’m talking the station. I thought I was at David Hasselhoff concert in Munich. NO, I have never been to a David Hasselhoff concert in Munich or anywhere else. Would I? Well, that’s my little secret. Where was I? Yes, Kiev. As I’ve mentioned, I spent the holidays with my family; Christmas in Prague, New Years in Berlin. We had a really great time, even if we were all in grave danger of death by trampling on New Years Eve at the Brandenburg Gate. What a mob. And now it’s 2006, where does the time go? Remember 1999 when it was the end of the world? I packed a gallon of water and a sleeping bag in my trunk just in case. Not really sure what sort of wussy apoloclype I was preparing for taking such feeble measures. I’ve since learned to be a wee bit tougher when it comes to me vs. the end of the world. Next time, I’ll be ready. So that’s it for now, folks. When I figure out in what capacity I will be working here, I’ll give the update. I hope to get a job either writing for an english newspaper or teaching english. But then we all know where hope gets you. Or do we? At best: nowhere; at worst: the funny farm. So scratch hope, I’ll take a tall glass of Action, please.



Tags: ,

3 responses to “And so it is”

  1. Dominick says:

    You’re lucky you updated. Your blog is my entire life.

    Just like you said it would be.

  2. Martin says:

    I was getting worried there for a bit. No update for a while. I remember, when I visited you, how much of a wreck you were about finding a job after the New Years I just figured that you had a mental break down and became a street juggler or something. Im glad to hear that I was wrng, or maybe not, cause street jugglers are pretty cool … but I digress. Congrats on finding a “home” for a while and I hope the new year brings you good fortunes.

    (Kiev sounds nice, maybe if I can find some time I might be able to plan another trip … we shall see…)

  3. Nicoletta says:

    Blairrrrrrrrrr…. by now I believe you have read my awesomely long email regarding life, travelling, friendship, happiness, and any other bullshit i could conjur up to deal with our current insecure feelings of beginning a new point in our lives …. and a new job! And though I would have been so very happy to hear that you had gotten that job in Damascus (half because it would have been from a friend of mine), I feel much more secure to know that you are closer to me and in Europe…. where I can actually maybe come to visit you! I miss you so much and all our European adventures… hopefully we will have more in 2006…. let me know if you will be there for a while and I’ll start looking for tickets!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *