BootsnAll Travel Network



Good Grog!

“The now that passes produces time, the now that remains produces eternity.” – Severinus Boethius

So hello to everyone! Not much to report this time around. I’ve been taking things at a much more relaxed pace the past week or so. After Bratislava, I headed to Krakow, where I also booked 4 nights. Then, due to a bus schedule incompatible to my desired departure date, I ended up staying in Krakow another 2 nights, making 6 nights in all. A new record. Aside from a sobering day trip to Auschwitz/Birkenau that upset me (saw that one coming), I thoroughly enjoyed this city, but I had a feeling I would. When deciding where to study abroad (after the college nixed my dreams of going to Turkey) I was actually between St. Petersburg and Krakow. I chose Russia because I figured the language would come in more handy. So, I’m glad I could spend some time there with what could have been. It was a bit hard to get around because it became quite frigid at times, but I really really took to the place. Especially, this little restaurant I found (well, it was reccommended), good atmosphere, mainly local students, great food–all homemade, and crazy cheap prices. I ate there every day. No seriously. Man, did I eat a lot. But really, it’s a reasonably small town, so I covered it quickly, and when you combine this with unfavorable weather to be out and about in…what else is there to do? I was also lucky in that the place I was staying had free internet, but I’m afraid it’s spoiled me a bit. Yesterday, I was up at 5am to catch a bus to Cesky Krumlov. I’ve heard amazing things about this place from several people I’ve met along the way, so I’ve been excited to see it all. They weren’t kidding. It’s a quaint little town with the little winding cobblestone roads that everyone loves in european cities. And this time of year, there’s less of me, the tourists. But also I ate some kind of Czech street hotdog, which is really more like garlic dog, which scored some negative points and has probably also killed any chances I had of making friends here. Ah well. I took 3 buses to get here, all in all 11hrs. I had to go all the way from Poland to the east of the Czech Republic to catch another 2 buses back down to the south westish part. It was ok until the guy sitting next to me on the first bus fell asleep and then sort of fell over on my shoulder, snoring. Then it was just awkward and loud. Now, I’m back in the real world where you have to pay to get online and you can’t be on after 9pm. Losers. Don’t these people understand the implications of differing time zones? Anyway, as I warned at the beginning, I don’t have much of an update just now. Last night, I got in and just watched a few dvds, which is always something of a treat. My family comes to Prague for Christmas and New Years, which I’m very excited about, so I’ll be heading there on the 22nd. Other than that, I’m looking to come to some sort of definitive decision about my plans after they leave. I’m giving it a few more days, as I’m still waiting to hear about the possible job in Damascus. When I find anything out, I’ll add it.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *