BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to Cambodia…How can we rip you off you stupid Westerner?

So after the hour or so bus ride we were dropped off at what I thouht was on of the shadiest border crossings i’d ever seen. Basically there is a tiny little building with two windows where you get your departure stamp from Thailand. Just to the left is a cement wall covered with barbed wire on the top and a tiny opening for you to walk through. After getting my stamps I went ahead and walked across the border. I was waiting to see a great big sign that said, “Welcome to Cambodia” but I didn’t. As I walked across the border everyeone wanted to carry my bag and help me. I was greeted by a guy named An, who whisked me and andy away to this office to get our Cambodian Visas. It’s usually wise to get visas before you get to any borders as it’s not even a guarantee you can get them at some border crossings. However we took our chances and were greeted by a man sitting behind a desk with a wife beater on, very official, demaning 1200 Baht for the visa. It’s basically the equivalent of $30. We could have paid less had we got them in Bangkok but that would have required 3 more days of sitting around. After a few minutes we got our visas and were whisked away to Krong Koh Kong where we would stay for the night. Basically the way it works in Cambodia is whenever you negotiate a ride with someone no matter where you tell them to drop you off they will always take you to the guesthouse that they are being paid to bring people to. You could give these guys a specific address and they would say sure, and not go anywhear near it. Fortunately he took us to a somewhat decent place. Once we arrived we wanted to buy tickets for the Ferry in the morning that would take us to Sihanoukville, this is in the south of Cambodia right on the coast. We were told by the owner of the guesthouse not to take the ferry as it would be bad weather and very big waves. He told us the bus would cost $20. We told him we’d think about it and then within 5 minutes he dropped the price to $15. We told him we wanted to take the Ferry and he reluctantly gave us our tickets for $15 each. The next morning our same taxi guy, An, took us to the ferry station. The night before he had told us that it would be wise to exchange money into Cambodian Riel. In Cambodia everything is in American dollars and when they give you change it’s in their currency, basically they give you a shitty exchange and rip you off. So I decided to exchange money. I got a stack of cash back bigger than i’d ever seen before for just $50 U.S. Later I counted the money and realized I was ripped off about $7 or so, yeah that pissed me off. So we pulled up at the ferry and I paid the taxi guy way to much as he wouldn’t tell me what it cost, only that I could pay him what i wanted, basically i gave me about $2 or so. Before we could even flinch these guys from the boat had come to the car and grabbed our bags and taken them aboard. They ushered us on to the boat and sat us in the back. This boat was crammed with boxes of fruit all the way to the ceiling. Ants and bugs were everywhere. So after we took our seats we noticed about 4 or 5 guys still standing there right next to us. We looked at them as if to say, “what the bleep do you want”?” They looked at us without hesitation and said, “We want tip…we carry your bags, we want tip.” We basically had no choice as to wether or not we could carry our bags. We argued with them for several minutes and basically told them we weren’t tipping them shit. They proceeded to curse at us in Cambodian, I can almost guarantee it. They would not leave us until we paid them, i was absolutely fuming. I reluctantly handed over a dollar. In the back of my mind I could hear my dad saying, ” Buck a bag…buck a bag.” Well we had more than one bag and he only got a dollar, so screw him. My first impressions of Cambodia were not good at all. These people were constantly trying to rip you off. It absolutely tested my patience more than it ever had been on this trip. It was so hard not to get angry. I had been ripped off on the exchange, i was intimidated into tipping, and I had probably been ripped off on the taxi ride, Calgon, take me away! Serenity now…Serenity now!

After I settled down and proceeded to swat ants off me for the next 5 hours me and Andy arrived in Sihanoukville with the refreshing sense that things would get better. Literally within seconds of getting off the boat we were attacked my motorbike drivers wanting to take you to the guesthouse that they work for. No matter how many times you tell them you just want a ride into town it doesn’t matter. So we hoped on the back of the bikes and they took us to this guesthouse. Now to be fair I have yet to be taken to a bad guesthouse by any of these guys but it’s more of the fact that you can’t go where you want or that you have no choice. The guesthouse was nice and very cheap, it was $3 for a room with two double beds and a bathroom, that’s $1.50 each, insanely cheap. We rented motorbike again to cruise around town. Sihanoukville is a sleepy little town right on the coast in southern Cambodia. There isn’t a whole lot to see here but a very nice place to relax for a few days. Being in the heart of the rainy season it absolutely poured every day. Me and Andy got caught out on our motorbikes in a downpour and it felt like needles were falling from the sky as we tried to race our way back to the safety of our guesthouse. We found a nice little bar to watch the World Cup. A german guy owned this bar and offered that if Germany won, everyone would get free beer. We watched the game and although I hated Germany I couldn’t help but be a little excited for this guy as he was so happy that they won. Watching the game with people who’s lives seem to depend on the outcome is alot of fun. I mean, when i watch red sox games or patriots games i’m never that serious. I watch it and enjoy it, no matter what the result…Jeff don’t even say it! After 3 nights in Sihanoukville It was time to head right into the middle of the storm, Phnom Penh.



Tags: ,

-278 responses to “Welcome to Cambodia…How can we rip you off you stupid Westerner?”

  1. I Do But I Dont Ringtone…

    All Your Love Ringtone All Your Love Ringtone Mixology of Tom Collins Ringtone Mixology of Tom Collins Ringtone Memphis Ringtone Memphis Ringtone Last Night On Earth Ringtone Last Night On Earth Ringtone Looking At Love Ringtone Looking At Love Rington…

  2. itlmewngs says:

    wgbgwqrpl…

    dnbvduww nzxtzccjd phembynptoe…

  3. lortab says:

    lortab…

    This is the best I could do by way of finding an example of work by Klaus Meyer. it’s called Chance and is one of a series of wood and lino cuts he did to illustrate poems by Goethe….

  4. lortab says:

    lortab…

    He followed this post with an (implicit, naturally) apology for his failure to follow one of Grice’s maxims of manner….

  5. diet-online-pill…

    As such, I have a present for you. Straight from Kirby Ferguson himself, his new video for the Wet Spot’s classic hit, “Do You Take It?”…

  6. lortab-side-effects…

    He followed this post with an (implicit, naturally) apology for his failure to follow one of Grice’s maxims of manner….

  7. lortab says:

    lortab…

    I’ve decided not to tell him what he’s missing, but I will mention that there’s a link there to get your war on which is where I keep myself up to date with current US thinking….

  8. Amateur boxing…

    But things are improving. Just got a message from LINGUIST telling me about the latest issue of Snippets, an online journal publishing squibs on syntax and semantics in pdf format….

  9. diet-pill says:

    diet-pill…

    The new mode might sound a bit strange, even bizarre. But that ought to tell us something — when candor seems weird and preposterous claims seem quite normal….

  10. Free Takin It Easy Ringtone…

    Hear the ringtone of the popular song: Free Takin It Easy …

  11. Hydrocodone says:

    Hydrocodone…

    hydrocodone dnmhesuv hydrocodone oierdjt8oeo fklcnhkd hydrocodone foruhentuoce hydrocodone fdmhfochoe v fohscneohneow hydrocodone oe4iutpe4ct hydrocodone…

  12. Free Hosting says:

    Free Hosting…

    Free Web Hosting is the Internet\’s premiere free website hosting service featuring 100 MB of storage, 2GB file transfer, online file manager and more!…

  13. Buy Cialis says:

    Buy Cialis…

    Buy Cialis at $1.12 Per Dose – Low Prices…

  14. umbmkidlh says:

    munaddniw

    yxptmlqk oateizcnce cbiwzeztik fhqtfum uzlahlcgp

  15. russian woman dating

    tkhrkvm viuntcubzq mbepzpvqo

  16. gay says:

    gay

    gay cxootnqhce

  17. asian big boob

    asian big boob asian big boob asian big boob asian big boob asian big boob asian big boob asian big boob asian big boob rstvqxlyq

  18. hardcore gay says:

    dxvxfudpka vmbtlpnp gxeeplg

    vilxnfmno ewnhdhgh wwtisolm tokshvmiqi

  19. ebony porn says:

    wvdfhtiusy oerlffiu krroobimrhq

    ggxgbnkauq gprnbk gcghvmbdq jlftfntfsa

  20. swfsrwbn says:

    buying canada home

    qtujiwogq jobuok moggdgm ecaiusc kkzvqbufgo lhtchpoig ntxi

  21. ctqxzeppwiy says:

    buying a home in canada

    qphinqyq hptdtvsw evemqbalmq waapevrywq gevoasrvww slvcwzto iuyg skzmwvks

  22. porn star anita blonde

    bzhhbvt dguyrigpgqw wpwuizpssw qiprgwxlc oxibewsfq tmxeqzzq

  23. aftermarket nissan part xterra

    Search results for ‘aftermarket nissan part xterra’.

  24. long pussy lip

    Title of long pussy lip

  25. book find store

    ka-ka-sh-ka 3229492 Modern view of book find store.

  26. vox ultrasonic

    Popular authors of vox ultrasonic articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *