BootsnAll Travel Network



Goodbye Africa…I look forward to seeing you again!

After nearly 2 months spent in Africa I left with much sadness.  Who knew that in such a short amount of time I would fall in love with the place.  Deep down I knew that Africa would be a special place but had no idea just how special it would be.  I can’t say for sure when I will be back but I certainly hope it’s sooner rather than later.  The people I met, the places I visited and the experiences I had will truly change me forever.  I will say that you haven’t lived until you’ve seen Africa, which is in my opinion the most diverse, beautiful, tough, and exquisite place on earth.  Where else in the world can you meet people who speak 4 or 5 different langues with such fluency?  Where else you can go and get a wave and a smile from every person that you drive past on the road?

For all it’s splendor there is certainly quite a bit of problems in Africa.  The AIDS epidemic and the racial seperation are things that may never quite change.  I met so many volunteers from all over the world who were spending time in Africa working with people to educate and to help with some of these issues.  I commend anyone who volunteers their time for such a worthy cause and place.  However I think that people in Africa are tired of being the world’s charity case.  The people have learned to live and cope with things on their terms and I think there is something to be said for that.  We who live in the western world and who don’t have to deal with some of the issues that they deal with can sit back very easily and point out what is wrong and what needs to be fixed.  I don’t want Africa to be like the western world.  I want if to continue to be the amazing place that it is.  I want the people to continue to hold on to their culture and language.  I want the people to continue to smile and be warm and welcoming.

I’m not quite sure how in only 2 months i felt such an amazing connection to Africa.  It was always such an exotic destination that seemed so far away and so distant.  When I left it felt so close, almost like home.  I’ve been to lots of places so far on my travels but non have affected me like Africa. I will miss it and I am counting the days til I return.



Tags:

-1 responses to “Goodbye Africa…I look forward to seeing you again!”

  1. kuzu says:

    Hello Everyone! ~Greeting from Bhutan~

    Bhutan’s first ever blog at http://www.kuzuzangpo.com called ‘Bhutan Weblog – Bhutanese Perspectives in a Journal’ has interesting readings from Bhutan and information on Bhutan including the travel information and links to travel agents.

  2. F*CK UGA says:

    Is it true? Once you go black, you never go back? Is that why your love for Africa grew so much?

    Once you get back here to the US and come visit in Nashville we can go to Africa anytime, maybe catch a Grizzlies game, eat some ribs from Rendezvous or visit Elvis Presley’s home. Maybe even win money in Tunica!

    The Vols are 4-1 and play UGA this week, UGA hasnt been looking real strong lately as their QB was hurt, but is supposed to be back for our game in Athens. Gators play LSU this weekend as well. GO VOLS

    The Pats put a hurtin on the Bengals…hard to figure the Pats out this time of year. Doug Gabriel (formerly of the Raiders) seems to be Brady’s favorite target now.

    In baseball…..well I don’t know what’s going on in baseball….

    Oh, Albert Haynesworth stepped on a Cowboy players FACE when his helmet came off during the game….he is going to be suspended, way to go Albert!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *