BootsnAll Travel Network



Wine and Lemons

Our dad’s old friend from the US navy is coming to us here in Hout Bay, Cape Town. His name is Carl and he has dragged his mom Joan all the way from Louisiana to accompany him. He had already had the last two days with us and today was the last of the bunch.

We all hopped into the backseat of our trusty Opel and buckled our seatbelts for the long journey to the Moreson winery in a small town called Franschhoek. We had stopped a few times to see the scenery before getting to Franschhoek, and given the two, maybe three hours of driving we were starving. I mean, we could have eaten the fattest cow in all of Cape Town.

When we entered the winery we had a buffet of cheese, sliced meat, bread, and margarita pizza. It wasn’t a real buffet of course, but there was so much food that it certainly felt like it. We ate all of the food, despite the fact that there was so much.

Well we’re at a winery, so why not try some wine? You may say that that’s illegal, and that’s perfectly true – even in South Africa, but a small sip of a few wines and champagnes can’t hurt, now can it? Out of the two champagnes and six wines I tried, I have to say my favorite was Blanc’s de` Blanc’s white champagne. The champagne tasted like sparkling Chenin Blanc. Chenin Blanc is a light green grape that is one of the two most commonly blended grapes, along with the Pinotage grape.

The eating was done, the tasting was done, and the only thing left to do was to leave. But we weren’t ready to do that. So in order to extend our time at the winery, we picked lemons. But lemons at a winery? That wouldn’t happen in a hundred years! But across the walkway there were hundreds of lemon trees! What surprised me the most was the fact that the winery let us pick as many as we wanted and even gave us a bag to put the lemons in. We found some perfect lemons and before long our hands were full and so was the bag.

I enjoyed our time at the winery and would go there again, but unfortunately there are other wineries to go to, and other places to explore.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *