BootsnAll Travel Network



Wine, Glass and Goat Cheese

Day 56

Almost every winery in South Africa has something other then wine to offer. At the Fairview Vineyard they specialize in wine and goat cheese. Seidelburg Vineyard specializes in wine and glass bellowing. Warwick Vineyard specializes in wine and friendly conversation. We visited all of these wineries today.

Fairview was our first stop. As I said Fairview is famous for its goat cheese and wine but it also has a really cool goat house. When we first arrived we saw the cylinder shaped goat house. The goat house has different levels that have rooms the goats can sleep in. To get up to the rooms there is a path of wooden boards going up and around the cylinder goat house on the outside. At Fairview my dad loved the wines and my mom loved the goat cheese. Go figure. We had lunch at Fairview. The lunch was made up of lunchmeat, bread, salad, and you guessed it, goat cheese. After filling our tummies we shot some video and then we were on our way to Seidleberg.

Cool Goat House

On our way to Seidelberg we saw some kids outside a school playing so we stopped to take some pictures of them. It was crazy. Once everyone saw the camera they came running over to be in the pictures. Every time we turned our camera they would jump in front of the lens. After about ten minutes we gave up trying to control the kids and we continued on our way.

Since we already had wine at Fairview, we only went to Seidelberg’s glass blowing factory and shop. When we walked in there was bowls, vases, lights, perfume bottles and other spectacular things made of glass. After we were done looking around the shop we went to the factory. There they showed us the ovens that melted and cooled the glass. They also explained the tools that they used for shaping the glass. One of the best tools is a pad of paper about one inch thick and when you use it, it’s the only thing between you and the 2,020 degrees Fahrenheit glass. Another neat thing about the factory is it is one out of four glass blowing factories in the entire country. It was a very rare and special experience to be at the factory.

Once we finished we pressed on to Warwick. Warwick is a simple and small winery. Warwick was a lot different then some of the wineries we had been to earlier. Even though the winery is small, the winery still had five wines for tasting. All of them were light and easy to drink so we liked most of the wines they let us taste. At Warwick we also meet two groups of Americans and it was nice to relate our travels to someone from our country.

After all that wine and conversation at the wineries, we were happy to spend the rest of our day sitting on the couch watching TV. We find South Africa to be a beautiful country, nothing like we expected prior to coming here.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *