BootsnAll Travel Network



Byron Bay

It took me until my 3rd day in Byron Bay to actually go see anything other than walking down to the beach in darkness my first night here. First I went didjeridoo shopping (so much fun trying out all of them in the shop) as requested for a couple people in America. I love spending other peoples money on cool stuff, especially after spending so much of mine the day before! After that I went to the beaches, at least a couple of them.

view of Cape Byron from Main beach

Pretty much standard Australian beaches, not the best I’ve seen by any stretch but there was plenty going on there. I went for a brief swim, despite the fact that by looking at it I could tell it wasn’t going to be nearly as nice as the Indian Ocean was. I wasn’t wrong, and I headed up to Cape Byron by the lighthouse for the sunset instead.

View from Cape Byron

sunset byron bay

sunset byron bay

sunset byron bay

I like Byron, it’s a shame I spent most of my time here avoiding spending money on any daily stuff and booking all my tours. The town is full of cool cafes, restaurants, artistic souvenir shops, street performers, surfers, scuba divers and people in camper vans. It’s got a great atmosphere, an awesome place to chill out. Unfortunately I’ve only been doing that in the evenings, I wish I was stopping here for my last couple nights to relax after this whirlwind tour ahead of me… I have to settle for Cairns, not exactly ideal for that.

Speaking of the ever longer evenings, the time I gave for sunset yesterday may have been off a bit. Today the sun set around 5. That’s right, 5pm. Also, since the nights are long now it’s cold during them, last night it got down to 10 degrees (50 for you Americans) I had to actually use my jumper, something I hadn’t anticipated anywhere along here. The days are still warm and sunny and the locals here delight in telling people that this is winter here. The worst thing about the early sunset is so much less time to do/see stuff. Glad I’m heading North to Brisbane tomorrow, I’m sure the sun wont be up much later there but every time I head North it will improve slightly. I’ll have my first experience with the Australian Greyhound buses tomorrow morning, I’m very impressed with their service over the phone and how easy it was to setup travel dates on the website, lets hope the buses themselves live up to those standards.



Tags: ,

3 responses to “Byron Bay”

  1. Mom says:

    Explaining the temperature for the Americans is all well and good, but you should also explain what a “jumper” is! The American usage of this word is different from the British/Australian term.

  2. Adam says:

    If I put an explaination for all the slang I used my blog would be a mess! I have been reading quite a bit of Bill Bryson lately, maybe I’ll do a Brysonesque entry on the differences between English around the globe…

  3. I chuckled at the mental image of “the locals telling people that this is winter here” because it sounds just like us here in Phoenix. Our winter is about 50 degrees, too, or even warmer… and occasionally colder for a bit. I often enjoy telling newcomers how this is what winter is like here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.