BootsnAll Travel Network



Nikko Kisuge

For about 20 days in July the famous Nikko Kisuge (lilies) bloom on the mountainside. We had a break from the rain so Zenryu jumped on the chance to take us to one of his favorite events. On the way we drove by two monkeys that were sitting on the side of the road eating and people watching. That’s monkey-sighting number two for us!

Nikko Kisuge

The spot we went to is very famous and there were many Japanese people. The American stereotype of Asian men with large cameras was in full force. Dozens and dozens of pro-am photographers stand in lines waiting for their few minutes to snap the shots of the annual blooms. It’s rather funny, mostly because they all dress alike. They wear full photographers vests and hats, and carry telescoping tripods. Big lenses accompany a wide variety of Akihabara’s finest photographic equipment. Their wives all wait anxiously, while gossiping about this or that.

The sun seemed to fade as we got up the mountain and the weather became gloomy as clouds rolled in. Thankfully a very nice Japanese lady gave Melissa her towel to wrap around her shoulders. Zenryu bought us lift passes so we could get to the best spots quickly. The lifts were awesome! I assume they are very similar to ski lifts in the states, but I’ve never been skiing. They come around on cables and the liftmen direct you to stand on a platform. The lifts don’t stop so you have to hold out your hand, grab on, and place your butt on the seat before it tries to push you forward.

Lilly Lift

Once you get on it’s a nice pace with a beautiful view of mountains and flowers. Thick fields of Nikko Lilies brush against your feet (if your legs happen to be longer than the typical Japanese) as the lift floats you to the top.

Mel Zenryu and Zach

Lots of hikers get lifted to this point to climb the rest of the way to the top of various mountains. Those with less gusto, or time, than us!

17 days till Thailand!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *