BootsnAll Travel Network



Earthquake!!!

Well the typhoon changed course and didn’t really hit the main parts of Japan. Once it came inland it quickly dissipated to merely a tropical storm. The rain though was very intense! It rained hard for about two days and the winds howled all night. As soon as one natural disaster was evaded another came in its place.

We felt our biggest earthquake today! It is about the third we’ve experienced so far. I usually sleep through them in the early morning, but not today. It was about 10am, and we were all in the main room of the lodge. It started with rattles in the kitchen, and quickly turned into the entire floor moving several inches. The ceiling fans and lights were shaking back and forth as if I had just hit them with my head. It lasted for about 40 seconds, a very long time. There was a second one several hours later, not as strong or long though.

TOK80707160402_Japan_Quake.sff-512x375.jpg

What was an interesting experience for us was very terrifying times for others. The quake registered a 6.7 on a scale of 1-7. In the main “blast” radius buildings were toppled over and at least four people were killed and more than a 400 injured. A bridge was torn to shreds, a fire brook loses at a nuclear power plant, and at least one train was shook off of its tracks. The news has been showing footage of the tragedy all day.

070716_quake_bcol_1215a.standard.jpg

In an instant so much suffering can come. It makes me realize how special every day really is. Our deepest sympathy goes out to all the families of those wounded.

bilde.jpg



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “Earthquake!!!”

  1. admin says:

    I just want to say for the record and all…that it was MY 4th earth shake….zach slept though one that was a 6.1 or so…

    melissa

  2. Aunt Julie says:

    Glad that you are both safe and sound…sleepers, at least Zach anyway. How far were you from these pictures at the time of the quake?

  3. admin says:

    Most of those pictures would be about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. So the main areas effected were quite far from us. Still amazing how much we felt though!

  4. JamenNoodle says:

    yeah, this one was a bad one, I’m glad it didn’t affect you guys too much. 6.7 is huge. Next time make sure you find the column of the building your in and huddle by it.. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *