BootsnAll Travel Network



Nikko World Herritage Park

Futarasan Shrine

After being in Nikko for almost 2 months we finally made it to the famous temple and shrine area. All of the buildings and monuments are in a park that was proclaimed a “world heritage site” maybe around ’96 but I’m not sure. We avoided the usual first spot to see for so long because after Taiwan, and the other temples we had seen in Japan, we were kind of templed out.

Upon seeing these temples I know I want to go back! They were by far the most magnificent I’ve seen in Asia thus far. Some of the buildings date back 1200 years, and many statues are absolutely stunning! I wish I knew more about all the history that goes along with their creation. It seems that everything I learned has managed to get washed together in my head so I won’t attempt to give a virtual tour, until I do my homework. I was blown away that’s all I can say. The history, the symbolism, and the energy of these places are overwhelming!

White

Of course with most sacred sites you can’t photograph the coolest attractions. I believe that really makes for a better experience though, with a camera in front of your eyes you cant REALLY connect to your environment at the time. Somehow the camera always removes me in some way from what’s going on, (so we try to manage our time with it out and put away) but Melissa and I did manage to get some shots despite the rainy conditions. We will be going again someday!

Futarasan Shrine too?



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *