BootsnAll Travel Network



Tanzania Dreamin’

I need about six months to tell you the stories from the past two weeks.  I am currently in Arusha, Tanzania burning photos to CDs because my camera is not working with my Ipod.  That was a mistake and not bringing my laptop was a bigger mistake.  The only other problem was not allocating more time to this wonderful country.  We’ll get to animals like lions six feet away and a leopard in a tree with a gazelle (they were not dancing!) another day, but I would rather take this precious down time to relate one story.  First, my ear is back on its own!  Other health problems like hand and feet skin pealing away and my face breaking out like a sixteen year old pizza face have all resolved themselves 🙂  If my CD burning takes hours, I’ll tell you more today; otherwise, maybe I will find some time in Nairobi after I arrive today and I am there again later this week.  Trust me that you what I am discovering is almost as important as the actual discoveries because I was convinced before I left that we are all very ignorant and negative about how the rest of the folks on this very dear planet.  Suffice to say just about EVERYTHING negative you have ever heard or imagined about Africa is a bunch of crap!  I can promise you that the country of Tanzania is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and the people are incredibly beautiful (I saw Queen Nefritis look-alike!), friendly and warm-hearted.  The children… oh the children!

Now for something more impoirtant…

I was at Saadani National Park and met some wonderful people including a journalist Sue from U.K. and Costa a Greek man from Burundi who speaks French as if he is from France.  I liked Costa immediately because of his energy and passion for life.  After telling him my story he told me that Chris is with me on this trip and she is so happy for me.  I have had enough people tell me that she is still with me, but I really don’t get too carried away with that stuff.  Nice to hear, but I have to get along with life.  He said a lot of things about Chris that were so accurate and I know Chris would have loved meeting Costa.

At about 4:30 AM that night, I woke up.  I was just lying in bed trying to digest what had already happened in Mozambique, Pretoria, Zanzibar and Saadani…  I am standing in the room which is about 10 meters from the high tide line and Chris is in front of me.  She was smiling of course and looking beautiful.  The only thing odd is that the right side of her face is distorted kind of like what happens in Star Trek when someone is being beamed up!

I say to her “Chris!  We’re in Africa!”.  She has a very mischievous twinkle in her eyes and smile on her face (you know what I am talking about if you knew her well).  She says “I know that, SILLY!”.  I am quite aware of the situation from a conscious perspective and I am quite confused about this being a dream because I am very much not asleep.  I want to reach out and grab her, but I decide that doing so will kill the whole moment.  I put my hands out in front of me instead.  She takes both of them in hers and squeezes.  We just share another moment of smiling at each other without exchaing any words.  The distortion starts spreading and soon Chris vanishes.

I open my eyes truly thinking that I am awake the whole time and my forearms are raised vertically and I can still feel the pressure she exerted when she squeezed them.  I was very confused about what had just happened.  It was about 5:30 by time I looked at the clock.  I was very shaken by the event yet I was very happy.  I decided to thank Chris for putting so much effort into the visit and for coming along with me and I also thanked God (not something I would do very often) for allowing all of it to happen.  I got out of bed and went out on the patio to watch one of the most spectacular sunrises I have ever seen (photo which does it no justice attached) and I have not felt alone since.

Thank you Costa and the rest of the gang at Saadani…



Tags:

3 responses to “Tanzania Dreamin’”

  1. Lorelei says:

    Rick,

    It’s so nice to read about everything you are experiencing and the people you are meeting. Your encounter with Chris is a wonderful way to start your journey. It’s been HOT here in the Sonoma Valley close to 100 degrees for the past week.

    Lorelei

  2. Terry & DiAnn says:

    Rick, it really sounds like a wonderful adventure, and we’re so glad that Chris could be there with you too. We can’t find the picture though. Where is it located?

    We’re back in Lincoln for a couple days (was 104 yesterday but only 94 today), to take care of a few things.

    Sorry about your iPod and camera troubles. Maybe I can email the small computer!!

    Terry

  3. kathy C says:

    Rick: I was so touched by your experience with Chris. may you have many more. Also I am looking forward to more about Nairobi. That is where I had my safari way back in 1975 on the Global Odyssey. My African experience was limited to Addis Abbaba in Ethiopia and Nairobi in Kenya. (Those giraffe and lion carvings were picked up in the Ugandan airport) Well, I was also in north “Africa” – Cairo! Good to hear that the health probs cleared up!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *