BootsnAll Travel Network



Quick Update from Kenya

The last two weeks have been amazing filled with beautiful scenery, people and animals in Tanzania which is an absolutely amazing country and in Kenya.  Unfortunately, time constraints are going to get me away from the computer and out in the streets of Nairobi before heading off to Zambia tomorrow.  I will probably not have any contact for the next twelve days and depending on where I am located in Uganda for the three week farm volunteering stint, I may have no contact until July 31st when I arrive in Kigali, Rwanda.  I can tell you that I highly recommend Tanzania for safaris and vacation and I wish I had more time in Kenya to say if it is as good as Tanzania.  Although the thought of staying in Nairobi concerned me, I can say that it seems like a very decent city.  The group safari in Tanzania was a lot of fun meeting a great group of people.  The visit to the Barabaig tribe is still playing through my mind and I will share a lot of that at a later date.  As far as animals, the highlights were a leopard in a tree preparing and eating a gazelle, lions using our vehicle for shade, two black rhinos, a leopard coming down from a tree right in front of us stopping half way down with its body twisted around the trunk and giving us a look that was absolutely terrifying, lion cubs, three cheetahs eating a wildebeest, vultures tearing out the stomach of a dead buffalo, birds galore, a bull elephant charge, hippos belching, having sex and running across the grasslands.  My head is spinning over it all and now I am wondering what a walking safari in Zambia is really all about.  I need to get some video tapes, pens and hard candy for the kids and make some CDs from the Kenya photos.  Hopefully I will be able to tell you about Zanzibar before my flight leaves tomorrow morning.



Tags:

6 responses to “Quick Update from Kenya”

  1. Janine says:

    Rick,

    This is absolutely amazing. I was just catching up on your blog. Seems like your body’s adjusting pretty well – be careful. We have a bottle of L’Ermitage Brut Rose for your return. Yes, they made a special batch. It is awesome! Dani is getting married July 16th – they are also jealous of your travels.

    We are all thinking of you with love 😉

  2. Bob Moller says:

    Hey Rick… the road keeps continually rising up to meet you on your trip….wher’s my postcard?

    Good Luck

  3. kathy c says:

    Way to go Rick: Thanks for the 12-day warning so that I won’t worry about not hearing. Isn’t looking into the eyes of truly wild (as opposed to in a zoo) an amazingly incredible experience!

  4. ben says:

    Hey rick

    we just got back from Tanzania on Sunday, and today’s my 1st day back in work – boohoo.
    anyway it’s great to read your blog, really glad your having such great experiences, as soon as i get a chance i’ll put some pics online. stay safe.

    peace out

    ben

  5. Rhett Giddings says:

    Rick,

    It’s been great following your travels throughout the dark continent. I am amazed at the amount of ground you have covered thus far. I’m sure you have met some interesting people and seen some spectacular sights on your journey over such a diverse land. Be safe, and I hope you get to see some black mountain gorillas while trekking Uganda.

    Rhett

  6. Julie says:

    Hi,
    Wow…….hippos having sex!!!! I just figured this blog stuff out when Ron Gallagher was here for a party and told me he had been reading about your adventure….I had no idea you were posting your writtings. Duh!! Anyways, keep them coming. It’s wonderful to hear all that you are seeing. Africa is one wonderful place isn’t it….and the kids! They are just so happy and are thrilled to see people from other lands. Pens….we should have packed you up with 100 of them.
    Sorry to hear about your ear, that must have been nasty.
    I look forward to hearing more. We love you and think of you everyday. Keep safe and be happy and well. Love, Julie

  7. Dave

    Interesting topic… I’m working in this industry myself and I don’t agree about this in 100%, but I added your page to my bookmarks and hope to see more interesting articles in the future

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *