BootsnAll Travel Network



From Within the Bowels of the Beast

Now I am in El Capitolio.  Just got a quick private viewing of the presidentś office and walked through the hall of Congress.  Of course, like everywhere in the world, the politicians are all on extended vacation.  They have an internet cafe in the Capitol Building which incidentally looks just like the one in Washington DC.  No better way to keep track of what touristas are doing online than putting the lines right into the heart of the government!  Seriously, I believe I have found a friendlier city than Kampala, Uganda which I had issued as a challenge to beat for the rest of the world.  I walked about ten miles this morning from where I am staying in Miramar section to Centro.  My feet are killing so I need a breather.  I doubt there is a more expensive place on Earth when you factor in what the locals make for salaries.  The lists showing Oslo, Tokyo, Tehran being expensive may be accurate for a visitor, but far from real for locals.  Stayed up late again last night listening to music around town.  Will attempt to leave here Thursday if I can find a rental car.  The architecture in this city has to be the best in the world.  Yes, a lot of it is crumbling, but in some ways that only makes it more fascinating.  Wait until I tell you about the American embassy.  Much of what I really want to say will need to wait until I get back to Panama or Colombia.  I finally found some Americans… from California as well.  I keep asking Canadians because they talk just like us… sorry Canada!!!  Itś all that damn American TV youŕe watching!  Speaking of which… CNN (Continuously Nauseating Network) as well as muchas American TV is shown here.  I am not sure if regular Bacuans get to watch it or if it is reserved for the foreigners only.  Adios…



Tags: ,

-1 responses to “From Within the Bowels of the Beast”

  1. Julie says:

    Hi
    Isn’t the architecture the best? You’re right- the crumbling does just add to it all. The people are just so wonderful there, I’m so glad to hear your experience is as wonderful if not more wonderful than mine. Good to hear it’s all so much the same. Have fun. Julie

  2. Jessica says:

    Hola Chico-
    I’m glad to read that you enjoyed Antigua and Tikal and took advantage of them during prime non-gringo/tourist time.
    I just returned from 10 days split between Arizona and New Mexico. Not quite Puerto but I did experience much of the same body bruising while spending 5 days loping and walking horses through gorgeous southwestern Arizona. I managed to practice a bit of my spanish in New Mexico but seem to be using it more here in NYC.
    Looks like I’m heading to the island of the bearded man in April-I can’t wait!
    I miss Puerto-the waves, the lessons and the people.
    Ciao,
    Jessica

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *