BootsnAll Travel Network



Escape from Capitolio

This place is wearing on me.  The contradictions, the paranoia, the just-don’t-give-a-damn attitude and worse of all the I’m your amigo as long as I think I can make some money from you attitude.  Friendly, yes.  Genuine friendly like Kampala… I believe less so each day.  I finally found a car, but when I did the math of what they want for six days (well over $100 a day for a used, beat up VW Rabbit), I said no and got on the bus.  I am now in Trinidad looking for a better attitude of my own.  El Capitolio just got to me.  Scratch the surface by talking to enough people and getting away from the fake show in tourista-ville and it all looks pretty shitty to me.  My Mom taught me to not say anything if you don’t have anything positive to say.  Well, I’ll be breaking that one soon enough.  For now, I do like the lack of racism here.  It seems very genuine – blanco, moreno (brown) and negro (that’s nAgro and, yes, that is the term used in Latin America so please cut the political correctness if you have a problem with it) – all get along.  All are Bacuans!  I’m searching for more positive things to say over the next week.  Maybe the search will be easier now that I am outside of squallor…



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *