BootsnAll Travel Network



A Sunday wake-up bump

Fireworks night

Hi y’all!
It’s Sunday and I’m in the city. It’s been an eventful day already. I did yga this morning, then off to the city with Kristian and Paul. We were just pointing to the taxi driver where we wanted to get off and he pulled in rather quick and had a bit of an accident. A large yellow camper-van/ people carrier bumped into us. There was quite a large dent although as far as these sort of things go it was pretty harmless. I think the taxi driver was quite upset, but it seemed to be ok and he signalled that we should go.

After shopping, I walked via a DVD shop to meet some of the others in a restaurant. You know I don’t think it’s possible to buy legitimate DVDs in China. The selection is amazing and you can get titles that are still just opening in the cinema for about 45p!

After a bit of a rummage, I went onto the restaurant. It was, I am asshamed to say, an all-you-can-eat buffet serving western food. There is a group of the foreigners here who go every week. I, for one will not be joining them as I ended up eatingfartoo much and only realised this when I got up to leave. The school of cuisine was not un-tainted by the location though, there was the odd ecclectic mix of Chinese taste and randomness. Among these were apple and cheese pizza, deep-fried chicken feet bites and Japanese vegetable sushi roles. Quite bizzare. And it wasnt unusual to find strawberry cream puffs on the same tray as chicken nuggets.

After that I came here, to the smoky old internet place. Well, that’s not entirely true now, because the computer there was not working properly and now I am re-typing this message on Monday evening after loosing most of the post I was writing somewhere on the super highway. Hope I can remember all the good bits from memeory. It was an eventful day and it wasn’t even home time yet.

The week passed quite well, and the sanda that I was dreading all day on Thursday turned out to be not too bad. Actually I quite enjoyed it – it was like a ‘box-ercise’ class. A good-old sweaty workout with boxing gloves and pads. I am not sure if the teacher was going a bit easy and trying to change my mind on sanda. I am going to stick to my guns on this one though and keep going with the kung-fu and tai-chi. Sanda is not whatI want and I know that it’s not going to change.

I think what helped me enjoy it was the factthatthe sun has finally come out in Zhengzhou. The weather s pleasand and the sky is blue. It is different to European skies though. It’s somehow paler and all the colours are muted slightly. I don’t know if this is to do with pollutuion or just the global position. It is clear to see though why colours are so important here like red for example. All the colours have there own specific meaning and if the surrounding colours are pale then any added colour is so much more important.

Kung fu is going well. I finished my first empty-hand form last week – Shao-heng form. I found out today (Monday) thatI can start the gun form (don’t worry mum – there are no fire-arms allowed in school – it’s pronounced ‘guhn’. It’s a staff form. I want to get started as soon as poss because next month I may transfer fully over to Tai-chi.

Tai-chi’s all good, lots to learn but I am excited at the prospect of continuing it even when I get back home – ooh – long-term commitment. I am also looking forward to teaching some more yoga when I get back. Maybe that means I have to stay in one place for a bit too.

Yesterday (Sunday) was like a second Chinese New Year. It was the end of the festive season celebrations so we took a bus into the city to see the fireworks. I was quite excited to see fireworks in China where they originated. It was really impressive. The display lasted about 30 minutes and although there was mist and some of the higher rockets were a bit obscured they were still massive. The best parts were the rockets that let off about a hundred red lanterns that had green lights hanging off them which hung in the sky and floated down. Brill.

The motley crew in the busCiao Shifu on the lonely walk home

Another week is here and I am rather tired. Taking it steady until the next time. x

PS This is a double banana that I found and ate… mmm yummy!

This is a double banana I found and enjoyedMmm, yum!



Tags:

4 responses to “A Sunday wake-up bump”

  1. Minami says:

    sounds like you had a nice day off starting with the car crash?!
    oh dear…

    can’t believe you went to a western all-you-can-eat buffet!!! and eat too much!!!!! shame on you!!!!!!!!

    oh Tom, you make me laugh so much…
    I can just imagine you eating plate after plate of not so nice food just because it’s all-you-can-eat… 😉

    xxxxx

  2. admin says:

    Hey, itwasn’t like that… it was nice food.

  3. minami says:

    To Alan,
    on my computer it says you are in Japan…. you really are, aren’t you? you were in China and now you are in Japan!! You are a Ninja!!!!!

    xx

  4. alan says:

    Yes, I am a Ninja.

    It is effortless for me to be in China and Japan at the same time. I move faster than you can blink. I make no sound. When you suspect I am there I have already gone. My ways are a mystery.

    Listen to the sound of silence…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *