BootsnAll Travel Network



My first victory of 2007!

We’re still three hours shy of the new year but it’s not too early to start counting my victories. Like how, at the end of a grueling 24 hour period during which I paced, cried (only once for a few minutes, I swear), and punched my fist in the air like a high school jock, I have fixed this damn laptop.

It all started yesterday evening during a perfect storm of boredom and despair when I seriously needed the distraction of a borrowed DVD and was met instead with utter defeat. Not only did the DVD not play but my computer appeared to finally get its shaky last legs kicked out from under it. Hours of hilarity ensued during which it freaked out, crashed repeatedly, and finally wouldn’t restart at all.

Try for a moment to understand how devastating it was. This computer has become my lifeline to sanity in the entertainment void that is Nong Khai, aka The Town Without Magazines. It may not have Internet or anything fancy like that but it does play CDs and MP3s. Without it, I would be left to lay on my couch and stare at the wall while listening to the rooster convention in my garden. Even more important is the fact that I’ve started writing a lot, like six or seven hours a day, and I’m totally dependent on my creative routine.

I was not about to take this lying down. This time of year being all about new leaves turned and whatnot, I was determined to succeed. 2007 is not going to be another year of accepting a bad turn of events and walking away.

Luckily, I love boys who love computers. I am drawn to them because they tend to be patient, calm and intelligent. They are logical and analytical problem solvers. Sexy! So apparently I’ve been at least half listening to my boyfriends over the years, because their words began flooding back to me. Strange phrases started to form themselves in my head – safe mode, running utilities, defragging hard drives. My two-year incarnation as A/V Tech Girl (TM) stepped in and started troubleshooting.

I’ll spare you the details and cut straight to the part when 24 sleepless hours later, my computer is not only back in action but it’s running about a million times better than when I first borrowed it. In your face, 2006!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *