BootsnAll Travel Network



Food blog, part 2: dinner

Since you’re probably dying of curiosity to know what I had for dinner after I left you hanging on that last entry, here’s the story…

I knew that eventually I’d have to visit the main night market, since it’s Chiang Mai’s biggest tourist draw. But since it involves two of my least favorite things in the world: sightseeing and shopping (more wandering around looking at things, ugh), I figured the only way I could lure myself there was with promises of food.

Markets usually have lots of food vendors so it was a sure thing. Unfortunately, I only lasted about half a block into the million block market before I got bored; so I turned off onto a soi (side street) and wandered down it until I came across a busy mosque with lots of restaurants around. I stopped to watch a Muslim street vendor preparing crepe-like snacks, and ordered one with chicken and chili sauce. I asked her twice what they were called and twice I couldn’t understand. We smiled a lot at each other instead.

Even with food in hand, I couldn’t bear going back to wandering around looking at stuff, so I started off back in the general direction of my guesthouse. As I wandered down the street, I felt that particular sense of well-being I get while strolling at night in an exotic city I am familiar enough with to usually know where I am in proximity to my hotel (it happens more rarely than one might imagine, which is why you should always carry a business card from them). The sky was cobalt blue, the lights of the street twinkling, and I was still hungry.

On the way back, I ran across Jerusalem Falafel, and in the interests of world peace, decided to make that the second act of dinner.

********

Expect to be hearing from me often since I have seemingly trick-or-treated my way into free Internet. It remains to be seen how long I can keep this up while avoiding accepting invitations to hang out. Although going on a date might be important cross-cultural research. We’ll see.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *