BootsnAll Travel Network



Consciousness

This is how yesterday started: with a long, excited, coffee-fueled conversation with Caroline about the nature of consciousness. This is how yesterday ended: with a long, sleepy, wine-fueled conversation with Simeon about the nature of consciousness. And this is what happened in between…

Caroline and I spent the entire morning at the front table, curled up in our chairs, talking, periodically dragging other people into the conversation. When it finally died down, I wrote in my journal for a while and then wandered off to check email. Then it was time for my daily spin down the main drag of Nong Khai to collect food from street vendors.

I joined the lunch crew at Mut Mee with my little bags of spicy papaya salad, sticky rice and meat on a stick. The conversation again turned to the nature of consciousness but this time was a little more heated because of all the different opinions on offer. Lunch lasted a long time.

After lunch, Caroline, Lee and I went to Lee’s house to watch a movie. I got Guest Music Pick privileges. I chose The Shins, which were promptly delivered. After almost a month away from my CDs I was dead pleased to be able to listen to exactly what I wanted when I wanted to hear it. Then we watched Waking Life.

Directly after the movie I had to rush off because I was already late to meet my friend Dawnie, who is kindly giving me a series of reiki sessions. Yesterday’s was especially intense and I wonder if that’s because of all the crazy conversations I’d been having. Regardless, it was amazing. We sat afterwards talking about, when I remembered that I was supposed to rendesvous back at the garden at 6:30 to go to dinner. It was 6:32.

Caroline, Lee, Simeon and I walked to Jose’s restaurant. I’d only met Jose once, when he showed up late one evening and hung out at Mut Mee totally drunk and obnoxious. Honestly though, I don’t care what an obnoxious drunk someone is if they have Mexican food on offer. He was super nice and friendly though (and sober). We sat around and drank beers and watched the pilot of Lucky Louie while Jose cooked our meals. I started to get really bummed out watching the show because one of my ex’s friends is in it and I was feeling like I am doomed to these constant reminders of my ex. Like I can go halfway around the world and there is still nowhere to hide from him. Like there is nowhere I can escape and heal. Like…oooh pork enchiladas with freshly handmade tortillas and tons of cheese and sour cream and rice and beans!!! Wait, was I thinking about my ex-boyfriend? Wait, ex-boyfriend who? Screw it, because these are the best enchiladas ever!

We walked slowly back to Mut Mee, full and happy, to sit around and chat. Caroline busted out her box of red wine (only the best for us!). Eventually, it was just Simeon and I having a talk about consciousness and meaning and life and everything. Then I was too tired to think (yes, it does happen) so I retired for the night. Just before I went to sleep a downpour started. It was the first since I’ve been here. I went back outside to watch the raindrops hammer down like bullets. After the long, social day, I was so happy to be alone with the night and the rain, knowing that with morning would come another sunny beautiful day full of friends and fun.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *