BootsnAll Travel Network



Why Take a Year Off?

Why take a year off? This is the question most people ask. It is soon followed by ‘What about your career?’ and then various financial queries. The truth is taking a year off while in prime working years would never be the smartest thing to do from a financial standpoint. Money I won’t be putting into my 401K this year would be growing exponentially throughout the rest of my career. When you consider the income we’ll be loosing between the two of us, interest on investments, and money we will be spending the cost is astronomical. Not to mention loss of health insurance and other benefits. So why do it? It is much more common to take a year off between college and the real world, when you don’t have so much to give up but I didn’t have that option, I needed money. I had to support myself and pay off student loans so no chance to travel then. The other option is to wait for retirement, which many people do, but the way I see things I’ll be able to do my job (which largely involves sitting at a desk hitting keys on a computer) when I am 65 just fine. Some of my hobbies which are more along the lines of climbing mountains, scuba diving, and mountain biking won’t be so easy as the years progress. If we had kids already we would not do things this way. We probably could not afford it and there is no way we could go before the kids were out of school. Since we don’t have kids yet (ever?) things are much easier for us. Maybe we just are bums masquerading as responsible adults, but whatever the reasons are we have made our decisions and will be off to travel in a couple short months.



Tags:

One response to “Why Take a Year Off?”

  1. cvander says:

    Travelling is a learning experience. When you travel, you invest in your education because you’ll learn important lessons. You won’t regret and its better to travel while you’re young. When you get old, there’s always cruiselines 😉