BootsnAll Travel Network



93: Bangkok Activities

I mostly relaxed here in Bangkok after my Laos trip but also had a few busy days.

It took me a day to walk around Bangkok for some “admin” stuff.
Decided to buy my Japan Rail Pass here in Bangkok rather than Hong Kong (can only be bought outside of Japan) because I cut the Hong Kong Stay short in favour of some diving in Thailand. The Japan Rail Pass can only be bought at a specific Office in Bangkok.

The same day I also went to the United Airlines office to change my flights to Hong Kong and Tokyo. I actually forgot my plane tickets (left it in the safe at the hotel) but the kind people at UA change the flights without the need to show them the tickets.
Moreover they changed it free of charge which was fab. I was told it would cost 25 dollars per flight or there about..

Two other days I spend mostly on the computer (making use of the fast internet access; Laos was dreadful) to wade through all the Laos photos, send them to flickr and do some blogs. It was quite a shock to the system spending 6 long hours on a PC again..

Other than that it’s rather hot and sweaty here now and I can see that one month down the line it must be pretty unbearable here. Temperatures are 33-35C with high humidity which means you start to appreciate airconditioning:-) If you enter some shopping malls the change of the outside air to the cool aircon air is pretty drastic and almost feels like when you’re jumping into a swimming pool after a toasty hour in the sun 🙂

Still I like Bangkok for it’s convenience. It’s a great place to chill out for a few days after travelling around and I do really appreciate the nice hotel that I am staying in. It even has a roof top swimming pool as I noticed and there is a good Movie Channel (HBO). Feels strange watching TV again after quite a while of TV absence.

There a lots of Starbuck and Starbucks like cafes with comfy aircon seating areas good for reading a bit though I have to say there is a certain reluctance to hag out at Starbucks. Starbucks is something you do back home, here is SE Asia it feels a bit out-of-place.. call me strange but that’s how I feel.

I avoided the big MKB shopping complex this time and went to some other shopping malls.
This place must be heaven for girls who are into shopping (i.e. all of them;-)
I can see why Thai people have such an easy life dressing very well. You get it all here and at a fraction of the European prices. I do wonder why Europe (and in particular the UK) is so crap when it comes to clothes and general fashion shopping. Europe could learn a lot from Thailand. Usually the only scruffy looking people here are tourists (me exluded of course;-).

Went to Siam Ocean World yesterday – magic!
It’s the biggest Sealife Center I have seen sofar and I spent a good few hours there. Very impressive huge walk-under aquariums with local marine life including matas, sharks etc
Can’t wait to see the marine life out in the sea..



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *