BootsnAll Travel Network



68: The Italian Experience

Some experience I though I should log here since it was unexpected and a “First” as far as Italian Restaurant Experiences are concerned ..

I’m surprised how well I’m doing with the local food (knock on wood!) and I have almost exclusively eaten Thai Food since I arrived here almost 7 weeks ago. However once in a while I do have a craving for some western food and give in… Overal I have probably eaten non-thai food about 5 times now, Italian Food being the usual choice. It seems to be the easiest or rather the most successful option as far as finding a “genuine” Cuisine. Many Thai Restaurants offer Western Food a la Steak, Chips, Pizzas, Pastas and various other versions of regular European Food. I was never very convinced about those items on their menu though so never opted for them.

What I have chosen was (much to my shame but I have to admit it) McD at some point (I was desperate for food ok?;-) but other than that it was Italian Restaurants. Italian Restaurants seem to be run by genuinely Italian people (though not sure if the cooks are;-) and sofar pizzas were quite nice.

The other day I had one of those cravings again and went to Stefano’s, a Italian Restaurant tucked away in a little side road off Tha Pae Gate just outside Chiang Mai’s Old Town. I knew what I wanted so ordered Spaghetti Carbonara, Bruscetta and some Red Wine without looking at the menu too much (I know, very predictable but that’s me:-).

The Wine was good and had the usual effect of putting me asleep after one large Glas;-)
The Bruscetta was fab, very nice indeed.
The Spaghetti – well… that’s the unexpected part. It’s the first time EVER I had Scrambled Egg Carbonara in an Italian Restaurant!

We have managed this more than once at home being useless (or too impatiant due to starvation) and pour the Egg/Cream mix over the pasta too soon when it’s still steaming hot (at some point we also still had the heat one which didn’t help;-)

I didn’t bother saying anything and to be honest it was quite funny, I was in disbelieve though that this would happen to an Italian Cook;-) Either way the Food tasted ok but Scambled Egg Spaghetti Carbonara from an Italian Restaurant was worth a blog entry so here it is 🙂



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *