BootsnAll Travel Network



38: Hostel & Chatuchak Market

Hostel
Moved to a Big John’s Hostel today. It’s still in Sukhumvit and nearish the last hotel, about 15-20 mins walk.

Tiny Boxroom, no window, room fits a bed and a shelve but nothing else 😉

Lock on door is very flimsy and I can’t fit a padlock so not very safe (they have safety deposit boxes for valuables though). Room is close to a busy area with Pool Table *bother*. I will need those ear plugs tonight no doubt;-) Mind you a sign said no pool after midnight so we shall see..

Also met a guy whom I believe to be Big John himself and he was rather unfriendly so it didn’t make me want to stay there pretty much from the beginning.

Well at least I have an excuse now to put more effort into looking up details about Ko Samui Island.

Chatuchak Weekend Market:
Apart from that I went to the Chatuchak Weekend Market today.
Took the Sky Train to Mo Chit and walked up to the market which is just a few minutes away from the Sky Train Station.
The market itself is apparently only open Say/Sun though having walked around there it looks like many of the shops/stalls are more permanently installed. I doubt they move everything at the end of the weekend.

Chatuchak Market is a big place with overall about 9000 stalls selling everyting from Clothes, Shoes & Cheap Accessories, Bags, all sorts of Knick-Knacks, Furniture & Antiques and general Household Goods to a wide range of small animals including lots of tropical fish in particular. Tropical Fish (not the eating type) seems to be a big thing here as a huge part of the market was just for that.

Of course there were plenty of food stalls everywhere too. Throughout the day I had some spicy thai noodles for 15p (about 22 cents) which were rather nice, sampled crispy pork (chinese style pork) for an expensive 40p (60 cents) and had a quater of a big pinapple at some point for 25p (37 cents).

The market itself was much more pleasant to walk than Chinatown though it was quite warm today.
The lack cars, mopets and their exhaust fumes was a big bonus and the fact that the whole area was just stalls, stalls, stalls was great for browsing. The market was jam packed but still not as busy as Chinatown though somehow I have to say Chinatown was probably a little bit more exciting. Maybe because of the little “adventure” of navigating through the Maze out there 😉



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *