BootsnAll Travel Network



112: Exploring Tokyo (Part 2)

On my third day in Tokyo (28/03/06) I went to another big Shrine called Meiji Jingu Shrine in the Shibuya District of Tokyo and also visited another area called Rappongi.

Meiji Jungu Shrine farily new but popular with visitors nevertheless.

” Meiji Jingu is the Shinto shrine dedicated to the divine souls of Emperor Meiji and his consort, Emperor Shoken. Emperor Meiji passed away in 1912 and Empress Shoken in 1914. After their demise, people wished to commemorate their virtues and to venerate them forever, and so this shrine was constructed, and their souls were enshrined on November 1, 1920.” (more)

The Shrine is surrounded by a nice Park (Yoyogi Park) which feels more like a little Forest than a Park. The Subway took me to the Park entrance and from there it was a 10 min walk to the Shrine. Along the way I passed Otorii, the Grand Shrine Gate, which is at 12m height and 17m width the tallest Torii in Japan built from Japanese Cypress.

Next to the Shrine is also a Marriage Office and when I was there a newly wed Japanese Couple emerged from the building for their photosession. I used the opportunity to take a photo of them (mainly the woman in her japanese outfit)

Meiji Jingu Shrine Photos (again pics are not in chronological order but most recent pics are first due to a flickr bug *grrr*)

I wandered around the Park for a good while afterwards and also walked around a special Garden which I had to pay an extra entrance fee for. The Garden was the Emperesses favourite place apparently and is famous for a special Iris Garden. The Garden/Park was pleasantly laid out but naturally due to the season there were no Irises in bloom;-) There was also a large Carp pond (I would actually call it a lake) but the impression area was seriously spoiled by the distinct stench of sewerage. As a matter of fact I have experineced this a few times in Tokyo near ponds/lakes. I have the feeling the public toilets feed more or less unfiltered into the small lakes.. A shame!

I spent about an hour walking around that Garden and then left the area and went to Rappongi Hills. Rappongi is know to be a busy nightlife district and also for plenty or restaurants etc.
I explored the area for a few hours and and found it utterly dull and uninteresting, and that’s that!

The last day In Tokyo I spent mainly in Jimbocho area since I had to find some outdoor shops where I could buy some gloves and longjohns for my trip up to Nikko. Weatherforecast there was very cold and possibly snow so I didn’t want to be stuck with my thin trousers up there in the snow.

I did however go to the Imperial Palace Garden first thing inthe morning and spent quite a while admiring Cherry Blossom Trees 😀 There are quite a few pictures at flickr from the Imperial Palace Garden. The Grounds themselves are not too spectacular but rather just a large open area with some Trees around the perimiter but of those many are Cherry Trees which were wonderul to look at if a touch beyond their prime blossom time.

Imperial Palace Garden Pics

And that was Tokyo. The next day I went up to Nikko Area. I did come back to Tokyo briefly after my Nikko Trip but soon made my way to Mount Fuji.



Tags:

One response to “112: Exploring Tokyo (Part 2)”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *