BootsnAll Travel Network



107: Hong Kong

I arrived in Hong Kong yesterday but due to lack of Internet Cafes and limited online time allowance at the one I am at right now (I get chucked out now after 15 minutes) I must continue this later ..

All I can say is: Roasted Goose, Barbecued Pork, Coconut Milk with Sago and Tofu with fresh Mangoo….. all within a few hours of arrival here in Bangkok! Also had some unidentified deep fried things on skewers (think it was crayfish or similar) which was rather tasty.

I’m in Heaven 😀


OK – I found a little Internet Shop eventually, hidden away in a small shopping mall on Nathan Road. Hard to believe but there are no Internet places anywhere nearby in Kowloon/Tsim Sha Tsui Area it seems. I asked several people for “Internet Cafe” but I either get an empty look in their faces and a “don’t know” a direction to the nearest Starbucks Coffee Shop 🙂 They insist they have computers but the ones I have been to definitely do not have computers there..

I would have thought a big place like Hong Kong has plenty of Internet Cafes dotted around and with many people speaking english here you would think the term “Internet Cafe” is well known 😉

Anyway… It rained in Hong Kong when I arrived, cleared up briefly in the late afternoon/early eveneing and then started again later and continued all day today..
It was warmer yesterday (around 28C) but it cooled down to about 19C today.
This is important because it is the first time I had to dig out my jumper from the bottom of my backpack and also make use of my rainproof jacket..

I had searched on google for cheap guesthouses to stay in Bangkok and found Lee Garden Guesthouse in Kowloon. Location could simply not be better for venturing out (it’s a few minutes away from the Coconut Sago Drink shop that I remembered from last time :-D). It’s on the 8th floor of a highrise building and farily cheap for Hong Kong standards (300 HKG per night for single room with ensuite bathroom) The room is compact and the bed a little on the short side for me but it’s very clean and surprisingly quiet. Also has AirCon. It was also very easy to get here/find it from the airport by public bus or axpress train and free shuttle bus.. So all in all a very god choice despite the 4! keys I have to drag with me when I leave the room 😉

Two other things are worth mentioning:

1) I’m wearing shoes again! I know this sounds strange but after a month or so of beach life with no shoes or flip-flops at most, wearing my walking shoes again is feels rather strange and uncomfortable. I call them “Feet Prison” right now 😉

2) Yikes – I had a Hot Shower! Kinda same as above. There was no need and/or no availability of hot showers while I was on the Islands. The water was refreshing but not too cold and the lack of hot water did not cause any uncomfort. Now, after a month of cold showers, it feels really odd to have a hot shower again.. Strange how one gets used to certain things.

Other than that I don’t have much time in Hong Kong as I am headin goff to Tokyo tomorrow already. Just enough time to stuff my face with some of Hong Kong’s Specialities (especially deserts 🙂 or rather the things I fancy, speciality or not;-)

Went to the Harbour yesterday evening and took a few pictures of the Harbour in the Mist. Not sure how they turned out but the view was pretty stunning with mist and clouds hanging low and wrapping around the skyscrapers in the other side of the harbour. Since the PC here has no USB connection. Need to wait til I get to Japan before I can upload them to Flickr.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *