BootsnAll Travel Network



Two Month Mark

Yesterday CJ and I celebrated a low-key and peaceful Easter Sunday. We also celebrated milestones in our journey. It’s been one month since she landed in Madrid, and it’s been two months since I touched down in Portugal! Back in mid-February, I was wandering through the Alfama and sharing drinks with university students in Lisbon, and one month ago in mid-March I was nestled away in the mountains of Spain making friendships that I hope last a lifetime, while also learning lots about Spanish culture and language. And now I’ve arrived in Prague…Wow. I’m one lucky lady. Somebody pinch me. Is this for real?
Actually, somebody hug me too, okay? 🙂

No worries…I’m FINE — but I’ll admit this past weekend was an emotional one, partially because I was reflecting on my amazing travels thus far (and thinking lots about what’s to come in this journey, and afterwards) and also because my heart was really far away, with my family and friends back home. I missed participating in one of my favorite holiday tradtions — Easter Sunday at Williams Lake — but thanks to mom, I already received photos via email and was so happy to see everyone in their Sunday best looking fantastic and beautiful, enjoying the day and the great weather.

Central Europe suffered one of the coldest winters they have had in years, and spring is slow to come here. That has def. got me down a bit…I’m ready to shed some of these worn clothes in exchange for cheap new ones, but the weather has to improve first. At least mom is happy I’m STILL wearing the great scarf she knit for me for this trip! Yes mom, you are still hugging me daily!
It seems as if Easter back home in NY was much warmer and springy than the one we celebrated in Krakow, although it was a nice day just the same — CJ and I bought dafodills for the dorm room, ate a special cake we had blessed, and even bought an Easter basket. Celebrating the Easter holiday in Warsaw and Krakow was something I will cherish forever, it was a very special experience for me. As mom and dad said in support and love on the phone yesterday, I am exactly where I am supposed to be right now,which I believe is true too, but I do miss the warmth…and I miss baseball and long phone chats with good pals and my fam.
But it is all good, I’ve just got lots on the brain today — that’s what a 7 hour train ride will do to you! There is lots to sort through — we’ve got to come up with a loose itinerary for the next few weeks, and figure out when CJ and I will split ways. Then I have to get working on plans with my Aunt C, who I’ll be spending time with in Italy and Croatia next month…and then there is June and World Cup plans!! I’m lucky enough to have some tixs, but no accommodations yet…fun stuff. It will all work out, but I should take advantage of the less-than-stellar weather we are having and really organize my plans for the remainder of my trip while I have time this week.

Well now — how’s that for a Monday evening, two-month mark brain dump? And that’s not even the half of it…you should see my daily handwritten journals (yup, I’m on to journal number two already) It’s great — lots of energy and ideas and stories…writing is one of my daily joys. And reading too.
Well, happy spring everyone, I hope to be in touch with some of you soon via email and phone…and shoot me a comment when you can! How are each of YOU??

Tags: , , ,



2 Responses to “Two Month Mark”

  1. Newley Purnell Says:

    Hi, Kelly. I’ve been enjoying your dispatches throughout your trip — keep ’em coming. I recently passed the 2 month mark on my own Asian sojourn, so this post struck a chord with me. I’m here til early June (this time around, at least), so definitely keep me posted should you make your way to the Orient…

  2. Posted from Thailand Thailand
  3. Mom Says:

    Hi Kelly, I am sending another Hug (besides the scarf)- we missed you too, but are looking forward to hearing about all the experiences you are having. I love reading your posts and hope you continue to celebrate each day.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Wendy Says:

    So exicted that you are in Prague now – can’t wait to hear about your experiences there. Hope the weather warms up for you and soon …. it sounds like the perfect patio spot. Try some Czech beer too – I’ve been researching in preparation for my trip.

    Wendy

  6. Posted from Canada Canada
  7. Kelly Says:

    Newley, great to hear from you and congrats on 2 months too…I knowyou have done longer periods abroad,so you are the skilledexpert in this area, will be in touch 🙂

    Mom, thanks for the hug…todaywas MUCHbetter, sunshine, a GREAT new hostel and a full day exploring this majestic place…oh,and nice comments from around the globe too:)love yu!

    Wendy, I’m taking notes…you will love it here…I found some great trails for running or at least some good walks…will give a better update laterthis week

  8. Posted from Czech Republic Czech Republic
  9. Beth Says:

    Way to go Kelly! I continue to be amazed by your courage and I love hearing about your experiences. There must be something about that darn 2 month mark…and holidays don’t help! I can’t wait to hear more!

  10. Posted from China China
  11. Michael Says:

    Got your postcard. This was a good post. I too can’t believe it’s been two months or that CJ has been there for a month. Enjoy Prague, I hear it is amazing.

    Love,
    MAA

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. danny boy Says:

    glad to hear you made it to Praha, I’ll fill you in on stateside happenings in an email soon, but in the meantime baseball has been great so far, loads of offense. oh, and at the time of this post the first place teams are the Red Sox, White Sox, Angels, Mets, Astros, and Giants…so take your pick you shamless front-runner!!!

    love ya and miss ya,
    dan

  14. Posted from United States United States
  15. admin Says:

    Beth and my bros…thanks to all of you for stopping by with a few words…and Danny boy, I actually tried to go to a Czech baeball game today, they have two national leagues and today was opening day…so consider my allegiances still up for grabs, as always…would you expect anything else? (ps: go yanks)

  16. Posted from Czech Republic Czech Republic
  17. kimber america gun Says:

    kimber america gun

    SomegifttoME 358190 Pros and cons of kimber america gun.

  18. Posted from Italy Italy