BootsnAll Travel Network



So Finally, Here is Lisbon

The traveller regains the street and feels lost. Where should he go now? What is he to visit? What shall he leave aside, either on purpose or because of the impossibility of seeing and commenting on everything? And anyway, what does it mean to see everything? It would be just as valid to stroll through the gardens and to go and look at the ships on the river as to visit the Jeronomite monastery. Or to do none of this, but simply sit on the bench or on the grass, enjoying the splendid bright sunshine. It’s said that a ship at anchor is not sailing. That is true, but it is preparing to set sail. So the traveller fills his lungs with fresh air, like someone hoisting sail to catch the sea breeze, and sets course for the monastery.

~ from Journey to Portugal by Jose Saramago

I made it to Lisbon, although there is no splendid sunshine today — it is a rainy day which is just fine, since I am so, so tired. I hardly slept on the plane, I sat between two Portuguese men who were returning to Lisbon after a conference in Las Vegas for their company, Staples! It was funny to talk to them about brand marketing, sticky notes and such. (Dad, they coplimented the Uni pen you gave me as top of the line!) Anyway, they were very nice, taught me lots about the city, culture, and some language lessons too. The woman at the tourist booth, my taxi driver, and the staff at the hostel have all been just as hospitable. I am staying in the Chiado neighborhood…being back in Europe, instantly Iยดm reminded how young America is. Everything is so much older here, and so very beautiful…even in the rain.

Well, I’m off to call mom and dad then head to sleep for a few hours. I may go exploring in the early evening to get some dinner and visit a bookstore, there are several in the neighborhood.

Tags: , , , ,



9 Responses to “So Finally, Here is Lisbon”

  1. Mom Says:

    Enjoy the rain, the sun, the days and nights…enjoy it all! We have enjoyed watching as you have been “preparing to set sail,” and it is all part of the adventure. Looking forward to reading about Lisbon and all that will follow.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. seadragon Says:

    You’re in Lisbon!!! Yay! Enjoy your first day.

    Funny about the Staples guys. My sister’s boyfriend just went to that same conference and he came back with $1400 in blackjack winnings. Crazy, huh?

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. miladus Says:

    Make sure you have some good Vintage Port. When are yu going to be in France? We may be there…

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. John Meyer Says:

    Greyhounds in Europe! Enjoy the adventure!

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. steph Says:

    YEAH!!! You’re there and you’re safe!! Bringing tears to my eyes!! I’m so happy and excited for you…..Have fun fun fun and eat lots of yummy food and drink wine and oh ~ have dessert!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait to hear about everything….I love you so much!! Steph

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Jeanne Pasquine Says:

    What a great blog! I’ll enjoy keeping up with your adventures. Good luck and enjoy every minute! Jeanne

  12. Posted from Italy Italy
  13. admin Says:

    I love using this blog as a way to keep in touch…thanks for your comments, to old friends and new ones yet to meet too, Jeanne ๐Ÿ™‚

    Milad, I will be in France in late March, probably in southern (marsailles area possibly) and then Paris. Let me know if-when you will be there, and thanks for stopping by!

    SD, I laugh that I posting so much from Lisbon…but if I catch the free hostel computer at the right moment, I am all set, actually easier that searching for wifi…that is funny about the Staples connection…the world seems to get smaller and smaller each day!

  14. Posted from Portugal Portugal
  15. miladus Says:

    I may be in Paris late March then in May. Will email you my phone number.

  16. Posted from United States United States
  17. Lost in Place » Blog Archive » Two Month Mark Says:

    […] Yesterday CJ and I celebrated a low-key and peaceful Easter Sunday. We also celebrated milestones in our journey. It’s been one month since she landed in Madrid, and it’s been two months since I ltouched down in Portugal! Back in mid-February, I was wandering through the Alfama and sharing drinks with university students in Lisbon, and one month ago in mid-March I was nestled away in the mountains of Spain making friendships that I hope last a lifetime, while also learning lots about Spanish culture, language and life. And now I’ve arrived in Prague…Wow. I’m one lucky lady. Somebody pinch me. […]

  18. Posted from United States United States