BootsnAll Travel Network



Backtracking

Since leaving Croatia earlier this month, I have been backtracking through countries I already visited earlier in my travels. I went back to Budapest, back to Berlin and am now back in Madrid. Highlights of the past few weeks include:

Traveling with my good US pals, Tamara and Jared, who have taught me tons about football.

Visiting with the BoostnAll World Cup crew in Berlin, who taught me everything else about football.

Chats with my brother Dan back in the US, who continues to be impressed by my growing football knowledge 🙂

Emails and chats with family and friends who have caught World Cup fever back home too…this is great…I will convert you all into football fans!!! (But don´t worry, I´ll still watch American football and baseball too…how are the Yanks and O´s doing??)

Attendance at two World Cup football matches, including last Saturday night´s exciting US vs. Italy match — amazing atmosphere and intense action I´ll never forget.

Watching countless other games at Fan Fest in Berlin and on other TVs throughout Germany, France and Spain.

Jumping in the fountain (sort-of) at Plaza de Colon after Spain´s win over Tunisia on Monday night. It was so cool to be downtown when the game finished…I´ve never seen celebrating like this…and it wasn´t even a semi-final or final match!

There are some non-football related highlights too…

First, the unexpected afternoon in Paris (between trains) during which I was able to visit the Musee de’Orsay, which I was not able to see on my last visit to Paris ten years ago. I did not think I would see Paris at all on this trip, so I was happy to have the chance to explore for a few hours.

And now, a reunion with an incredible friend here in Spain, who is hosting me for a week of fun and great food in and around Madrid. Cristina is determined for me to try every authentic Spanish cuisine before I leave, and is cooking samples of all sorts of unique and new dishes for me to try in between sightseeing and football watching. We visited the Royal Palace and Cathedral in Madrid yesterday, and will go to Toledo later this week.

And life-planning mode is slowly taking shape…

I´m doing a little work on some writing projects, lining up my accommodations for the last few weeks of my travels, and beginning to make plans for my return to the states and the What´s Next phase (deep thoughts already in progress).

I´ll continue my backtracking for the remainer of my time in Europe, spending most of it in Italy. Not sure yet where I am headed next, but will enjoy Spain for the rest of this week and write again when I know where my next stop will be…

Any suggestions between here and Florence?? I’ve already been to Barcelona, but that might merit one more stop on the backtracking trail before heading into Italia for the grand finale.

Tags: , , , , , ,



2 Responses to “Backtracking”

  1. Jenn Says:

    Yanks are 2 games out of first behind Boston. O’s are 10.5 out as usual. Football will always be American Football to me! Although I’m sure your football is nicer to watch! Miss you!

    Jenn

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Pat L. from Balt Says:

    Kelly–if you head back to Barcelona, I really liked Girona, about an hour north of Barc. It’s a walled city, spans a river, beautiful churches, Jewish museum in heart of historic Jewish quarter. Easy to do in a day. Have a great rest of your trip!

    Pat

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. jogjakarya.com » Moving Around Madrid Says:

    […] The backtracking continues…I am headed back to Barcelona, a city I feel very comfortable in. I know my way around and I need a day or two in a place like this, to figure out my next move…what better place than the beach? Yes, it will be crowded and hot but I m up for 48 hours of it. I ll travel by night train from Madrid this evening, get to Barcelona about 8 am, check into a fairly new hostel near Las Ramblas, then take in some sun and plan my next move…I might head to Girona for a day, possibly make a daytime stop in Nice or Monaco, then push on to Italia…I will probably take advantage of the train pass and use another night train or two along the way, it saves time (less planning on trying to find accommodations) and saves money too. […]

  6. mary poppins ticket london Says:

    mary poppins ticket london

    SomegifttoME 400038 home | mary poppins ticket london | contacts

  7. Posted from Italy Italy