BootsnAll Travel Network



All the A’s

Many of the places I’ve spent my time this week all happen to start with the letter A –

Andalucia – today is my 9th day in the Andalucia region of Spain, and I’ve got a few more to go. I’ve really enjoyed exploring the cities and country villages of this southern province, yet I’ve only scratched the surface. I was speaking with some German girls last night about Cadiz and Cabo de Gato, two coastal areas that I would have liked to visit, but I know I don’t want to cram in too much, so it all comes down to choices, and I am very glad with the variety of places I’ve had the good fortune to visit. Traveling during the week of the Andalucian National holiday has been a treat also, to experience some of the regional customs and festivities that mark the annual occasion.

Aracena – I had a spectacular time in the Sierra de Aracena last week, and was sorry to say goodby on Monday when I left. It is a beautiful historic city, with wonderful hills, trails, farms and a national forest as well. It is a quaint village in a special area that I hope to visit again one day.
Alcazar – This palace in Seville (known as the Real Alcazar) was an unexpected treat for me, I could not have imagined that is would be so magnificent. The colors, shapes and patterns of the place inspired me to purchase a small sketchbook while I was there, so I can try and capture some of the artistic wonders of the places I visit in my own creative way. The gardens were a joy to wander through, they must be amazing to see in summer bloom.
Alahambra – Ditto for this even larger and more amazing palace and fortress. I arrived early yesterday morning and had the place mostly to myself, except for some tour groups and other early risers. But the grounds are so sprawling, it is easy to get lost by yourself, find some corner or ledge from which to view Granada and admire the intricate details of the Moorish styles and designs.

Albayzin – I’ve lucked out with the location of my hostel lodgings thus far, they have all been in or near some fantastic city neighborhoods. In Lisbon, there was the nearby Alfama, Baxia and Chiado. In Seville, the wonderful Barrio de Santa Cruz, and now in Granada, the Albayzin, which I have only just begun to explore. I’ll spend a few hours walking through this maze of alley streets today, taking in the Moroccan vibe that permeates this unique cultural Oasis. (I’ve actually been staying at an Oasis during my two night stay in Granada.)

Alpujarras – This is my next stop in Andalucia. I’ll take a three hour bus ride to Cadiar this evening, where I will be picked up by my next host. I’ll be working for a few days at a small bed and breakfast/farm in the Sierra Nevada mountains, that I found through Helpx. I’m excited to see the mountains, even though I know it may get very cold, especially in the evenings. It’s funny to me that it seems I’ve picked interior, colder locations to visit, as opposed to the coastline that is normally my first choice when selecting where to go. I seem drawn to the hilly and mountainous landscape…so far it has not let me down.

I guess that is all for now, Adios! (There are a few more quick updates at Eurail blog too.)

Tags: , , ,



3 Responses to “All the A’s”

  1. Aunt Catherine Says:

    How wonderful to be in a place where they (probably, hopefully?) don’t give a hoot about the Oscars! Those mountains sound heavenly.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Nor Says:

    hey kel, sorry I haven’t written before now! your trip sounds so amazing – thanks for keeping us all updated on the travels! your not missing much back home – just cold weather! be safe and I will be looking for more pictures when you get a chance to send them 🙂 miss you.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. steph Says:

    i love that you bought a sketchbook 🙂 you go girl!! save those sketches….they’ll be worth billions, or at least many priceless memories 🙂 one day…..x0x0x0x steph

  6. Posted from United States United States