BootsnAll Travel Network



re: aunt eileen’s comment

How are the people?

The people are nice.  I know that’s  terrible descriptive word, but it’s the truth.  Aussies are very friendly outgoing people.  I did notice last night walking around Brisbane that randoms are very friendly.  Say in a big city, like Chicago or Sydney, when walking down a street, people look everywhere but in the passersby eyes.  Well here, people look at who they’re passing, and once eye contact is made, they smile.  I noticed everyone doing that.  It’s nice.  Not the typical big city mentality. 

I hate to admit but I’ve met far more people from the UK than locals, being on the backpacker track and all.  Most travelers are from Europe, and I can count the North Americans I’ve met on both hands.  Other travelers I’ve met are nice and friendly too, but have one mission in life: to get completely and utterly wasted every night.  Believe it or not, that’s not really my style. 

How’s the food?

I hate to admit it, but I don’t really know.  My budget doesn’t really allow for me to try a lot of the local cuisine.  On the blue mountain tour our lunch consisted of pie-vegetable pie for me-which was amazing.  The pie had a very thick flaky crust and inside had carrots, potatoes, and peppers.  I think that was the only local food I’ve eaten.  My diet has consisted of muesli and a banana for breakfast and some kind of pasta dish that I’ve cooked myself for dinner/lunch.  I’ve had subway a few times and stopped at a kebab joint here and there and of course my Christmas Eve dinner of Thai…What seems to be big with the pub food is steak and chips.  I haven’t eaten beef in years so I don’t know how it is, and most of you know that over here, like the UK, chips are fries, and crisps are chips.  I did try lemon and pepper crisps, a flavor one wouldn’t find in the US, and they were good. 



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *