BootsnAll Travel Network



feeling a little like Dr. Dolittle…

The humidity is suffocating in Cairns, where I landed just a few hours ago.  Flying into the area was goregous, the water was turquoise and islands were everywhere.  So many beaches, so little time!  But I guess swimming here isn’t advisable since there are dangerous things lurking in the waterways like crocs, jellyfish, and stingrays…

 I guess it was the 27th when I went to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.  (This humidity has gotten to me.)It’s the world’s first and largest (which Australia boasts a lot of) rehabilitation place for Koalas and they house other animals as well.  Everyone (by this I mean animals) were all caged or in trees except for turkeys and lizards.  I had to ask someone what the turkeys were, and once I found out, I felt pretty stupid-that I should know what a turkey looks like.  When I ate meat, it was my favorite!  I did the tourist thing and paid the extra $15 Australian Dollars to hold a koala for a minute while they took my picture.  http://photo.koala.net/2712022970en.htm  He smelled like pine trees and was super soft!

The 28th I went to the Queensland Museum with my roommates from the hostel.  The museum had a fantastic animal exhibit and an even better exhibit on endangered species in Australia.  If anyone is ever in the area, I highly recommend it.  And it’s free!! 

Yesterday my roommates and I went to the Australia Zoo-Steve Irwin’s project.  It was AMAZING.  Although it didn’t have a huge variety of animals (only Australian animals and tropical animals like Asian elephants and tigers), it was certainly the best zoo I have ever been to.  There were so many hands-on animal shows, the animals were clearly well taken care of, their enclosures were huge and did not have the typical zoo feel where the animals are bored, stuck in a cage.  I got to pet a kangaroo and another koala!  It was so clean and you could feel Irwin’s presence throughout the place.  

I’m starting to get my sea legs again, and by that I’m feeling like myself again, going from place to place, meeting new people, leaving to meet more new people, and just doing my own thing.  

I was finally able to look at my grades from last semester today after about a week of trying:  Environmental Science-A;  Cultural Geography-A;  Spanish 2-A!!   Yay me!  I wish my community college was like CPS-where I can get paid for my grades…oh well.  I make my own money and boy, do I know how to spend it!  😉



Tags:

5 responses to “feeling a little like Dr. Dolittle…”

  1. Aunt Mary says:

    Hi Laura ~ sounds like your having a great time! The picture of the you and the Koala are sooooo adorable. We enjoy reading your adventures ~ so keep them coming and have a Happy and Safe New Year! Love Aunt Mary

  2. Aunt Kris says:

    You were under the radar there for a while, so naturally, I was worried. I was delighted to see that you have resurfaced (not from those croc and sting ray waters) and have such adventures to tell. If I can’t be the traveler, this is the next best thing. Absorb some of the sun’s rays for me. This is the hardest time (winter) for my spirits. I need a sun lamp or a trip to Australia about now!!! Thanks for the uplifting stories. I loved the picture. You both are so photogenic. Have fun on NY’S eve. Uncle George and I will be having some Asti and bowling with our WII (oops, that looks like world war two) our new wii. Are you just too jealous?

    Love, Aunt Kris
    PS: Can you tell that commas are my favorite punctuation mark?

  3. Courtney says:

    that picture is so cute, it’s kind of disgusting. ok, i’m just jealous! you have a real talent for writing a captivating travelogue. i’ll be checking back often while we move to al. glad to hear you had a great christmas. i was thinking about ya. i hear the sydney party is the best new year’s there is!! take care out there.

  4. Courtney Ramalamb says:

    “I guess swimming here isn’t advisable since there are dangerous things lurking in the waterways like crocs, jellyfish, and stingrays…”

    ….When I read that, I was like, CROCS?! They have those disgusting shoes lurking the water? Hahaha I am silly! Congrats on straight A’s!

  5. Aunt Anne says:

    Hi Laura!!!
    Wow ~ sounds like you are having a wonderful time!! You look fantastic as always! Wish you could bring home that Koala bear don’tcha?? Congrats on all the A’s!!! Way to go, I’m very proud of you. Happy New Year and stay safe! Love you!!
    Aunt Anne xxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *