BootsnAll Travel Network



racoon-eyed lobster

Yep, that’s what I look like.  I layed out by the Cairns “lagoon” yesterday for a few hours.  I put the quotations around lagoon because it is in fact, a pool.  The entire time it was very overcast and rain clouds were threatening over the mountains but I still managed to get burnt.  As as many of you know, my skin is very adamant about burning before I can even think of getting a tan.  So in all my NYE pics I am the one who looks like an apple.  I even thought I’d lie out there today too, just as long as I continued to reapply sunscreen every 20 minutes…I could feel myself frying like bacon in a frying pan so I left.  I’m going out to the reef for some snorkeling tomorrow and will be getting a lot of sun then as well.

To me, Cairns seems nothing but a tourist town with souvineir shops everywhere and restaurants of every ethnicity possible.  There is a beachfront that is more like a marsh that houses crabs and crocs (not the shoes!) and the like.  It’s just a place to party and book reservations for reef trips and rainforest trips and skydiving and anything else pretty much imaginable.  That  being said, I’m not a huge fan.  But the hostel is nice and clean and I’ve met some great people. 

Last night I went out to celebrate the coming of 2009 with one of my roommates and her friends-all Dutch!  They were very nice and went out of their way to speak English-even amongst themselves-all night so I wouldn’t feel disincluded.  We had a cheap $10 meal at a pub and went to the bar that all the barcrawls were ending at.  There was a rooftop terrace where we could watch the fireworks and I felt very inlcluded with my new friends when I could agree that these fireworks were nothing compared to Amsterdam’s.  We ended up dancing the night away and went to bed with sore feet at 3.

Although I’m not hungover, I’m going to take it easy today.  The sun is not forgiving, not to mention the humidity and I want to have tons of energy for my snorkeling trip tomorrow! 

I hope you all have/had a safe and happy new year and that all your hopes for 2009 come true!  =)    



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *