BootsnAll Travel Network



Stick a Fork in Me, I´m Done

Arrived via bus in Alicante around 430.  I went to the info center in the bus station and asked ‘Tiene una mapa?’  The guy smiled and handed me a map.  I located the street my hostel was on and went on my way.  I ignored the sweat pouring down my back and took notice of all the ‘Se Vende’ signs (guess the ‘crisis’ has hit hard here) and that pretty much nothing was open, it being Sunday and mid afternoon…

The hostel, Hostel de Sal, is brand spanking new.  I can smell the newness, plus the scuff free white walls give it away to the non-constructionally enlightened.  I wandered and wished I had a camera.  I´m so uninterested without it, not being able to document things or just to capture things at wierd angles, which I love doing.  It´s so beautiful here, and in Spain in general.  At least the little bit I´ve seen.  I saw some massively old trees, with the roots way above the ground and lots and lots of marble and colored tiles.  

I realized that my lack of enthusiam has a bit to do that I´m at my last destination before I head home.  Yikes!  My brain has switched to home mode, and I´m kind of wishing I could put on my ruby slippers, click them together three times, and be instantly transported home! 

I went to bed earlish and woke up at 930, when most of the room was coming in.  It´s a party town, and I´m completely uninterested.  Oh well, next time.  I´m done.  Laid on the beach until I got antsy lying there, the water was a bit dirty and a bit warm-not as refreshing as I would like, but it´s still the sea and I do love the taste of saltwater.  I don´t drink it though, in case you were wondering.  

Showered and headed out for a walk.  Walked along the pier and watched fancy people eating expensive dinners, walked down the pier and looked at the sea, stumbled across a tiny international fair they have going on and looked at what they were selling and noticed an empty stage and dance floor (it was still early), and walked along the beach.  At 9/10 pm there were still people on the beach and swimming in the water.  I didn´t mind being alone, I actually kind of welcomed it, even though I was wandering through couples linked arm in arm and making out.  I headed back to the hostel once I started feeling tired and read until I fell asleep.

This brings me to here, in a ridicously overpriced internet cafe at 6 pm on my last day in Alicante.  I lied on the beach today, and ensured an all over sunburn before I head home.  I´ve never been so emotionally unattached to a place I´ve traveled to, and I feel bad that  I didn´t really give Alicante a chance.  I don´t hate it, there´s nothing to hate, actually, but I´m done.  Stick a fork in me.  I´m looking forward to a time when I can go to sleep so I will know that the next thing I´m doing is waking up and heading to the airport.  It will begin my 35 hours of airports and airplanes-the hell I will have to endure before I go home.  But there´s a light at the end of the tunnel.  And I will take a long long nap once I get there.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *