BootsnAll Travel Network



El Jadida

Essaouira looked super dirty without any of the shops open.  The bus to El Jadida was hot and puke-smelling.  We were late arriving at El Jadida, but Simon and Ursula were still there.  Bought tickets to Tangier, the port city, and followed Simon to the hotel.  It was so nice being able to follow someone and not have to do all the navigating!  The hotel was super nice, we paid 100 Durham each, cheapest we´ve spend anywhere so far.  Our room had hot showers, a fridge, and tile on the walls. 

We all went out for lunch at a nicer restaurant, since the budget was nonexistant, where I had a cheese omlette and fries.  We walked around the edge of the median up high by canons.  El Jadida is an old Portugese Port, UNESCO owned. 

Simon was in search of a bar, we found one, we all walked in, but I noticed instantly Ursula and I were the only girls in there.  The bar was a big dark room with men clustered in groups around little tables.  We caused quite a commotion about wanting to purchase beer, and then to take it out of there.  We walked out, beer in hand, Ursula and I went to the beach while the boys went back to the hotel to put the beer in the fridge.  We chatted and read for a good hour or so all the while wondering what happened to the boys. 

Once we all met up we didn´t stay at the beach long, just enough time for all of us to take a dip in the sea, which wasn´t that much bluer than Essaouira.  They wanted to eat at some fish place, I went to watch, but coudln´t stand the smell so I left for a cheese and bread dinner.  There was a guy at the stand drinking hot unpastuerized milk probably fresh from the animal that was not cool for my nostrils nor my stomach.  Got bread and cheese after a lot of pointing, back to the hotel for dinner and to watch the only English channel on the TV.  We drank in our room with Simon and Ursula, played card games that we each took turns teaching the others how to play.  They liked Bullshit, and we liked their version of Asshole.  We took shots of their homemade schnapps/rubbing alcohol.  I showed them my Europe on A Shoestring so they could laugh at what it said about Slovenia, and then they started asking us about Chicago.  They both seemed really interested and said we´d see them in America soon.  They were leaving for Fez in the morning, and us for Tangier, to the get the F out of Morocco.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *