BootsnAll Travel Network



The wheels on the bus…

We arrived in Nicaragua this morning. We´ve been in 3 yellow school buses already. Now, we´ve made it to the colonial town of Granada where we´ll settle in for a couple days lounging on finely carved chairs in shaded courtyards.

First impressions: Much more laid-back and calm than we expected. In the most touristed town of Nicaragua, we´ve barely been hassled. Good choice for a landing spot.



Tags:

3 responses to “The wheels on the bus…”

  1. Donna says:

    Enjoy the lounging, and let us know what you think of the ‘guaro’ if you try some… 🙂 (Sugar cane alcohol, traditional in Costa Rica, so maybe Nicaragua has it too?) So, what’s the reaction so far when people find out you’re American? I imagine you’re getting a lot of English…

  2. admin says:

    Surprisingly few people speak English in the markets and the restaurants, so we´re learning lots of Spanish. Similar to France, the locals would rather have us speak our incredibly broken Spanish than them try to speak English. And we haven´t even left the most popular tourist area in Nicaragua.

    By the way, I saw my first sign for ¨tres leches¨ today, but I didn´t get the chance to order it. I will have to practice that later. We´ll keep our eyes out for ´guaro´- but we did pick up a bottle of Nicaraguan rum and the popular drink here is the ¨nica libra¨ basically a rum & coke with lime.

  3. Donna says:

    Yeah, guaro is an experience, but not a particularly good one. It’s kinda harsh. Get a small bottle, and limes.
    Hooray for tres leches!!!
    I’m amazed – I usually got bombarded with English in Costa Rica as soon as they heard my gringo accent. I should have gone to Nicaragua…
    Or maybe your Spanish is just better than you think! 😉

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *