BootsnAll Travel Network



Chai Garam Chai

Inevitably most of the stories of India will involve chai in some way. From the 9 chai in a day motorcycle ride (more on that later) to sipping Chai with Ansar in his auto repair shop, most of our memories will probably contain it. And here is how I was taught to make chai by Farida. All measurements are very much approximations, so try at your own risk.


1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 T sugar
3/4 T darjeeling tea
1 T crushed ginger

Put water on stove and turn on the heat to medium high or so. Toss in sugar, darjeeling, and ginger at your leisure, before it boils, and stir every 30 seconds or so. Farida and most chai makers use a ladle and ladle some liquid into the air and then pour it back into the pot. Once it is boiling add the milk, stir more frequently, every 10 seconds or so. Bring milk to a boil and then lift pot off of heat to let milk coolk for a few seconds. Repeat the milk boiling process 3-4 times, strain into something, and then it’s done. All quantities should multiple up quite well. Instead of the ginger you could use cardamon seeds from a pod, or both. Enjoy.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *