BootsnAll Travel Network



Learning Gratitude and Graciousness On The Road To Santiago

I´m a bit behind with blog entries, but in the meantime, here´s a quick one on what is on my mind today…

Just a quick entry here..on something that my Camino has given me much time to think about.

The Camino has been, so far, a revelation for me about everything in my life-from my spiritual life to dealing with having physical limitations.

However, what has been most apparent in my time on the Camino is the changes I see in myself in practicing graciousness and gratitude-both with others on the road, and with people in my own life. There is something in me, in my character, that wants things to be equally good for everyone. For life to be equally sweet, full of pleasures, love, and kindnesses.

I´ve come to realize that part of the path we are each on is partly of our own choosing. We often make poor choices and then are unhappy with the poor results. Having an attitude of graciousness and gratitude can take a poor choice and make it something lovely and something to be thankful for.

So many people in the world are truly suffering-dealing with terrible circumstances (some of which I´ve managed to witness firsthand in Central America), and yet many people complain and find fault with others about circumstances which are of their own doing, or perhaps the other person can´t help what they are doing. I do this myself, all the time. It´s a nasty habit, and sometimes it´s easier to keep our bad habits than learn a new way of doing things, which might be hard or uncomfortable. Other people hurt us, or perhaps inconvience us, but sometimes, they can´t help it.

Sometimes I wish everyone in the world would be sent to live with some truly poverty stricken people somewhere in the world for a year, and then return to their old lives. They would have their eyes wide open, and be so much more appreciative of what they have, of the people in their lives, of the mere fact that they are alive …

Being on the Camino has made this very real for me-from dealing with people complaining about the smallest of inconviences, to hearing people complain about one another, or their partner they left behind at home while they are on the Camino.

I had lunch with a woman whose boyfriend kept calling her on her cell phone while she was on the road. He called about three times during the picnic lunch alone.It was really irritating her. She then shared that he had recently recovered completely from cancer..I told her,¨ Wow, you are so lucky you get calls from him everyday. You should call him and thank him.¨

Two days later, I saw her on the road . ¨ I called him, she said. We decided I´m going home. What do you think?¨, she asked me.

¨I think it´s perfect¨, I said.

I am so thankful for those who love me, and that I have people to love. Such an opportunity for giving, for kindness, for love.

I myself am learning to practice gratitude and graciousness in some unexpected ways. I was recently robbed of all of my money (as well as my shampoo, my underwear, my bras!) in a refuge. I then tried to use my bank card and it didn´t work. I had no money for two days. They also took all of my food-granoila bars and so on-so I was hungry to boot. Luckily, a monastery let me stay for two days while I waited for money.

In the interim, I emailed a few friends, my boyfriend, my ex husband..I went off on a rant, saying how much a was disliking the Camino. About what a terrible experience I was having.

And do you know what? Almost every person replied with concern, with love, with kindness. How I am growing to appreciate you all, especially you, Jerry (my boyfriend) on this journey. I am grateful for you and all the love you send my way. Due to the flood of emails I recieved, my spirits revived, and here I am today, finding myself in love with the Camino all over again.

So, a special thankyou to each and every one of you who kept me going in spite of what turned out to be solely a few days inconvience. You are all with me on my Camino. and I am grateful to you all.

And a special thankyou to Jerry….So Jerry, this is to say, you are perfect. Perfect. Thanks for all your love.

Gigi



Tags:

102 responses to “Learning Gratitude and Graciousness On The Road To Santiago”

  1. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

  2. Its fantastic as your other content : D, appreciate it for putting up. “The real hero is always a hero by mistake he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.” by Umberto Eco.

  3. Trey Umanzor says:

    Very interesting details you have remarked, thanks for posting . “Oh, what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive” by Sir Walter Scott.

  4. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

  5. Debbi Soran says:

    Hiya very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I’m satisfied to search out a lot of useful information here within the put up, we want develop extra strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing.

  6. Some genuinely nice and utilitarian info on this site, too I believe the style has excellent features.

  7. Jo Raz says:

    Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t come across. What a great web-site.

  8. Anja Friberg says:

    Dead indited subject matter, appreciate it for entropy.

  9. Perfectly indited subject material, Really enjoyed looking through.

  10. Utterly pent subject matter, thanks for entropy. “He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak.” by Michel de Montaigne.

  11. Terra Palek says:

    certainly like your web site however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I will definitely come back again.

  12. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great, as well as the content!

  13. Pretty element of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually loved account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I success you access persistently fast.|

  14. Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

  15. Don Tummons says:

    Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

  16. Ryan Stapp says:

    Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched all over the place and simply could not come across. What a great website.

  17. Von Adamek says:

    I have recently started a website, the info you offer on this website has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work. “If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees.” by Hal Borland.

  18. Enjoyed looking through this, very good stuff, thanks . “The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.” by Mother Theresa.

  19. Ryan Stapp says:

    Someone essentially assist to make critically posts I would state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the research you made to create this actual submit extraordinary. Magnificent job!

  20. Good day very cool site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I’m happy to search out so many helpful info here in the publish, we want work out more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

  21. I will immediately take hold of your rss as I can not find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please allow me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

  22. I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks!

  23. I have recently started a website, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” by Ayn Rand.

  24. I must express some appreciation to the writer for rescuing me from this problem. Because of surfing around throughout the world-wide-web and getting strategies which were not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life was done. Living without the presence of solutions to the difficulties you’ve sorted out all through your good article is a serious case, as well as ones that could have adversely damaged my entire career if I hadn’t noticed the blog. Your primary skills and kindness in controlling every part was very helpful. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a stuff like this. I’m able to now relish my future. Thanks a lot so much for your reliable and effective guide. I won’t be reluctant to suggest your blog post to anyone who will need care about this matter.

  25. I do believe all the concepts you’ve offered for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. May you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

  26. Leigh Mongon says:

    Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

  27. Lucio Wollin says:

    I like this post, enjoyed this one thankyou for putting up.

  28. Ramiro Secor says:

    Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for!

  29. I’ve read several good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you put to make this type of magnificent informative website.

  30. Dick Patmore says:

    I really enjoy reading on this website , it has good content . “Wealth and children are the adornment of life.” by Koran.

  31. I like this blog so much, saved to fav. “Respect for the fragility and importance of an individual life is still the mark of an educated man.” by Norman Cousins.

  32. Fantastic website. A lot of helpful information here. I’m sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you in your sweat!

  33. Santo Stremi says:

    Dead written written content, Really enjoyed examining.

  34. Sol Zeringue says:

    I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thanks again!

  35. Hello, you used to write magnificent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your super writings. Past several posts are just a little out of track! come on!

  36. I got what you intend, regards for putting up.Woh I am lucky to find this website through google. “The test and use of a man’s education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind.” by Carl Barzun.

  37. I’ve learn a few excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you place to make one of these excellent informative web site.

  38. I truly wanted to develop a small note to thank you for the great information you are showing here. My considerable internet search has now been compensated with really good points to exchange with my family and friends. I would express that we readers are very much lucky to be in a fabulous site with so many special people with interesting things. I feel really grateful to have discovered the web page and look forward to some more exciting times reading here. Thanks once more for everything.

  39. Cammy Gailis says:

    Just desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply excellent and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

  40. Lonny Deraps says:

    Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

  41. Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in internet explorer, could check this… IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a large portion of other folks will omit your great writing due to this problem.

  42. Don Tummons says:

    Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t come across. What a great web site.

  43. You have brought up a very wonderful points , thankyou for the post.

  44. Darell Lope says:

    I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all the great articles.

  45. Paul Holizna says:

    I haven’t checked in here for some time as I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

  46. I’m also writing to let you understand of the outstanding discovery my cousin’s daughter obtained visiting yuor web blog. She learned numerous issues, most notably what it’s like to have a marvelous helping nature to have the mediocre ones really easily have an understanding of certain grueling things. You actually exceeded readers’ expected results. I appreciate you for churning out such informative, trusted, revealing as well as cool thoughts on your topic to Emily.

  47. Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your website is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched everywhere and just could not come across. What a perfect site.

  48. Yuko Megee says:

    Appreciate it for helping out, fantastic info. “Courage comes and goes. Hold on for the next supply.” by Vicki Baum.

  49. junimeridio says:

    circle which countries use hydroxychloroquine capable https://hydroxychloroquined.online/ – hydroxychloroquine ingredient skin resurfacing is trump taking hydroxychloroquine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *