BootsnAll Travel Network



Learning Gratitude and Graciousness On The Road To Santiago

I´m a bit behind with blog entries, but in the meantime, here´s a quick one on what is on my mind today…

Just a quick entry here..on something that my Camino has given me much time to think about.

The Camino has been, so far, a revelation for me about everything in my life-from my spiritual life to dealing with having physical limitations.

However, what has been most apparent in my time on the Camino is the changes I see in myself in practicing graciousness and gratitude-both with others on the road, and with people in my own life. There is something in me, in my character, that wants things to be equally good for everyone. For life to be equally sweet, full of pleasures, love, and kindnesses.

I´ve come to realize that part of the path we are each on is partly of our own choosing. We often make poor choices and then are unhappy with the poor results. Having an attitude of graciousness and gratitude can take a poor choice and make it something lovely and something to be thankful for.

So many people in the world are truly suffering-dealing with terrible circumstances (some of which I´ve managed to witness firsthand in Central America), and yet many people complain and find fault with others about circumstances which are of their own doing, or perhaps the other person can´t help what they are doing. I do this myself, all the time. It´s a nasty habit, and sometimes it´s easier to keep our bad habits than learn a new way of doing things, which might be hard or uncomfortable. Other people hurt us, or perhaps inconvience us, but sometimes, they can´t help it.

Sometimes I wish everyone in the world would be sent to live with some truly poverty stricken people somewhere in the world for a year, and then return to their old lives. They would have their eyes wide open, and be so much more appreciative of what they have, of the people in their lives, of the mere fact that they are alive …

Being on the Camino has made this very real for me-from dealing with people complaining about the smallest of inconviences, to hearing people complain about one another, or their partner they left behind at home while they are on the Camino.

I had lunch with a woman whose boyfriend kept calling her on her cell phone while she was on the road. He called about three times during the picnic lunch alone.It was really irritating her. She then shared that he had recently recovered completely from cancer..I told her,¨ Wow, you are so lucky you get calls from him everyday. You should call him and thank him.¨

Two days later, I saw her on the road . ¨ I called him, she said. We decided I´m going home. What do you think?¨, she asked me.

¨I think it´s perfect¨, I said.

I am so thankful for those who love me, and that I have people to love. Such an opportunity for giving, for kindness, for love.

I myself am learning to practice gratitude and graciousness in some unexpected ways. I was recently robbed of all of my money (as well as my shampoo, my underwear, my bras!) in a refuge. I then tried to use my bank card and it didn´t work. I had no money for two days. They also took all of my food-granoila bars and so on-so I was hungry to boot. Luckily, a monastery let me stay for two days while I waited for money.

In the interim, I emailed a few friends, my boyfriend, my ex husband..I went off on a rant, saying how much a was disliking the Camino. About what a terrible experience I was having.

And do you know what? Almost every person replied with concern, with love, with kindness. How I am growing to appreciate you all, especially you, Jerry (my boyfriend) on this journey. I am grateful for you and all the love you send my way. Due to the flood of emails I recieved, my spirits revived, and here I am today, finding myself in love with the Camino all over again.

So, a special thankyou to each and every one of you who kept me going in spite of what turned out to be solely a few days inconvience. You are all with me on my Camino. and I am grateful to you all.

And a special thankyou to Jerry….So Jerry, this is to say, you are perfect. Perfect. Thanks for all your love.

Gigi



Tags:

102 responses to “Learning Gratitude and Graciousness On The Road To Santiago”

  1. And a perfect, perfect blog entry!

  2. Scribetrotter beat me to it!

    Once again you do not cease to amaze me… I am on your Camino to… I am so grateful for my family today… for everything I have and everything I am.

    Thank you so much for sharing! 🙂

  3. Jim P says:

    I am glad I am behind in reading, which makes this entry the better. I realized this Sunday at work, something I was being selfish about and decided to change that. It felt very good!

  4. Intriguing article! I came across your site some time back and have become a returning fan for your blog. I know I’m just a little late in posting my comments but this particular article made a large amount of sense in my experience and that i enjoyed it. I can’t say that I trust whatever you mentioned but it was decidedly absorbing! I’m not sure if my earlier post was received so I’m trying again. Many thanks for an enlightening article. Ill be back soon. Glad that found your site

  5. Tobias Leroy says:

    Somebody essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I’d state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular put up extraordinary. Fantastic task!

  6. I’ll right away clutch your rss as I can’t in finding your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me realize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

  7. Vernie Gola says:

    You have brought up a very great details , thanks for the post.

  8. My brother recommended I might like this website. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

  9. Merely wanna admit that this is invaluable , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

  10. Tobias Leroy says:

    you’re in reality a just right webmaster. The site loading pace is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a great process on this topic!

  11. Darell Lope says:

    Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t come across. What a perfect web-site.

  12. You have noted very interesting points ! ps decent web site . “Sutton lost 13 games in a row without winning a ballgame.” by Ralph Kiner.

  13. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my web site :).

  14. A person essentially assist to make critically posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular post amazing. Great activity!

  15. Hi my family member! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include almost all significant infos. I’d like to peer more posts like this.

  16. Wow! This could be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Excellent. I’m also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

  17. As soon as I observed this website I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  18. Hello my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with approximately all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this.

  19. Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and simply couldn’t come across. What a perfect web site.

  20. I have to express appreciation to you just for bailing me out of this type of challenge. After surfing around throughout the the net and finding tricks which are not helpful, I thought my entire life was done. Living without the presence of answers to the difficulties you have resolved by means of the website is a crucial case, as well as the ones that could have in a negative way damaged my career if I hadn’t discovered the blog. Your personal training and kindness in maneuvering every part was priceless. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not come upon such a stuff like this. It’s possible to at this moment look forward to my future. Thank you so much for this skilled and amazing guide. I will not be reluctant to suggest the website to anyone who desires counselling about this subject matter.

  21. I simply wanted to develop a message so as to express gratitude to you for the amazing information you are showing on this website. My incredibly long internet search has at the end of the day been recognized with sensible information to go over with my friends. I would admit that most of us site visitors actually are truly blessed to live in a fantastic website with many brilliant individuals with very beneficial strategies. I feel somewhat lucky to have used the web page and look forward to so many more entertaining minutes reading here. Thanks once again for everything.

  22. Thankyou for helping out, fantastic info .

  23. Denis Serrao says:

    Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

  24. Phyllis Ripa says:

    I got what you intend, thanks for putting up.Woh I am pleased to find this website through google. “Since the Exodus, freedom has always spoken with a Hebrew accent.” by Heinrich Heine.

  25. Excellent website. Plenty of useful information here. I’m sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your sweat!

  26. Malcom Mihor says:

    You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

  27. Kiyoko Choen says:

    I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thank you, I’ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your site?

  28. Hello, you used to write excellent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your super writings. Past several posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

  29. Kieth Corvin says:

    As soon as I detected this website I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  30. Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t come across. What a great web site.

  31. I got what you intend, thanks for posting .Woh I am lucky to find this website through google. “Don’t be afraid of opposition. Remember, a kite rises against not with the wind.” by Hamilton Mabie.

  32. Lucio Wollin says:

    I really like your writing style, great information, regards for putting up :D. “He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors.” by Rudyard Kipling.

  33. Jean Richter says:

    Some really choice content on this site, saved to bookmarks .

  34. Dead indited content, Really enjoyed looking through.

  35. Utterly indited written content , appreciate it for selective information .

  36. Carter Moles says:

    I like this post, enjoyed this one appreciate it for putting up.

  37. Thankyou for helping out, excellent info .

  38. I will right away seize your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

  39. Dick Patmore says:

    As soon as I observed this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  40. Milan Zacate says:

    I have recently started a site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. “The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.” by Jean Paul.

  41. Phyllis Ripa says:

    I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I am quite sure I’ll learn lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

  42. Lucio Wollin says:

    You have brought up a very excellent details , appreciate it for the post.

  43. obviously like your website however you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll surely come back again.

  44. Kiyoko Choen says:

    I like this weblog very much, Its a real nice office to read and get information. “What is called genius is the abundance of life and health.” by Henry David Thoreau.

  45. Sharron Gant says:

    Some really quality posts on this website , bookmarked .

  46. Very interesting topic , thanks for posting . “Nobody outside of a baby carriage or a judge’s chamber believes in an unprejudiced point of view.” by Lillian Hellman.

  47. Simply wanna say that this is invaluable , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

  48. Jim Cabada says:

    I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

  49. It is in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

  50. Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *