BootsnAll Travel Network



Walking on the moon – Uyuni 16th February

Now I am here I am experiencing something I have never seen before. a most amazing landscape where the land and sky seem to be jelled together – do you spell jelled like that or gelled? Is this the place to discuss this! I came here last night on a bus from Potosi where I suffered yet again from altitude sickness and a very bad hotel! The toilet was at the end of the corridor and the ducha – shower – was down 2 flights of stairs in a back yard! Only for one night ! I met up with a couple from New Zealand called Dale and Mark who are lovely and i had met them briefly in La Paz. They were travelling with a YOUNG MAN CALLED wAYNE , ALSO FROM nEW zEASLAND and we got on the same bus to Uyuni. eXCUSE slip of fingers on caps lock! We met up for a beer and pizza last night in a place called Minutemaster Pizza owned by an American guy who knew his pizzas! Lovely to spend time with people who can speak English!

Today I went an a day trip to the salar Uyuni which was one of the most incredible experiences of my life – just hope the photos come out ok – it was so bright out there. Looked like snow but was salt – white every where and in the far distance the snow capped mountains of the Andes – my geography of course had not linked the Andes as far down as here. We visited a hotel made of salt and on the way back saw some Chilean flamingoes. Then we went to the cemetary of the trains – a very sad place for train enthusiasts – rusting trains by the dozen all sitting on lines that were no longer used. What a day. Got back and saw a man having a huge beer so joined him – turns out he is called Rupert and comes from near Bath – doing Bolivia on a BMW motorbike. Amazing how many inteseting people you meet!

Off again on my speedy trip down to Igassau Falls tomorrow – 5.30am  bus! Never seen this time of day before! Going to Tupiza, 12 hours drive, so bottom beware! Going for a shower now in my Hotel – the Kory Wasy- Indian name me thinks! I like Uyuni and will be sad to leave – not least because it is flat and I dont suffer so much with breathlesssness! I think I am going down again in elevation so I will be happy! Given up on photos so will do a slide show for you when I get home. Ther are buses every day now from here so better than I thought – may make it all on time!



Tags: ,

One Response to “Walking on the moon – Uyuni 16th February”

  1. Liz Marsden Says:

    Hi Jan

    You need to write a book and it will make you a fortune! You are so brave or foolhardy but boy do you have some adventures! I’d love to see your photos ! How do you manage with things like toilets which would be one of my worries? And keeping clothes clean? Are you visiting anywhere where Sundance and Butch holed up before their days were ended?

    Will now send you an email. Continue to keep us entertained and enjoy your travelling.

    Lots of love Liz xxx

Leave a Reply