BootsnAll Travel Network



Rainy day in San Francisco – part 5

This is taking me quite a while to catch up on so I will try to restrain myself from rabbiting on! The ducks are coming and going and I believe they are checking the place outand warning offany potential compettion. I have high hopes for the Spring!
Well day 3 in SF was rainy so I decided on a under cover, rather than walking in the rain. I hailed a taxi on Haight St outsidemy hotel and asked him to take me to Golden Gate Park Conservatory of Flowers. It is a wonderfull Victorian building with wonderful plants, including a cocoa tree and many splendid orchids, They also had a little display of the gold rush and the Barbary Coast. I left there and walked through part of the park to catch a bus to the Golden Gate bridge. Got there to take a very atmospheric picture ofthe bridge. Using my $2 ticket I then got on a bus again and went to fisherman’s wharf. this was becoming one of my favourite places. As it is crab season I had to partake of this delight. So, I went to Joe’s Crab Shack – Peace, Love and Crabs here! Think what you will! I had a chat with Jason, my waiter and decided on a Queen Crab in a bucket – easiest to get the meat out. He put me a bib on – yes must of thought I was a messy eater! – and gave me a set of weapons of mass destruction to attack this poor crab, In the bucket was the crab, broken into legs and body, potatoes in jackets and a corn on the cob, I was given melted butter to pour over it. Well, what feast! I had a pint of lager followed by another with my desert of carrot cake with caramel drizzled over it! My eyes were bigger than my belly and the cake had to be ‘to go’ please! As I was sitting there with my favourite view of the marina I started to watch a man sittingnext to a waste bin holding what looked like 2 bushes in front of him. As people walked along he would open the bushes and go “Boo!”. People jumped and laughed. Very few gave him money. Jason told me he was ‘the bush man’ number 2 – copying a longstanding bush man who had done this for years. Takes all sorts as they say. There were many beggars of one sort or another here, so sad to see them going through wastebins and eating food people had thrown away. When the bush man packed up as it grew dark, I noticed he had a walking frame which saddened me even more, I paid my bill and went to get on the trolley bus home. I was in early but glad I could relax and rest my leg on the bed. Tomorrow I had booked my city hop on hop off bus tour of the city. My last full day.



Tags:

Leave a Reply