BootsnAll Travel Network



First Full Day at McMurdo (Sunday, October 9th)

McMurdo Station

I slept well last night despite the daylight that persisted outside my bedroom window. Woke for brunch and after some writing headed outside to hike up Observation Hill for a view and hopes of watching today’s flight approach, as well as familiarize myself with the station. The temperature read -22 degrees Farenheit when I stepped outside with a group of friends. In the sun and out of the wind it felt quite nice actually. I even had to discard *big red* (my parka) on my way up the hill. Sadly my camera failed due to the cold, but I managed to warm it up in my mitten and catch a few shots before it died again. It was a steep, but relatively short hike. The views from atop were breathtaking. The TransAntarctic Mountains were on display. We could see Scott Base (the New Zealand station) in the near distance edging up to the sea ice; what appeared to be open water in the far distance; the entirety of McMurdo Station; and various mountains and peaks in every direction, not to mention plenty of flat ice stretching for miles. There was a cross on top of “Obs” that was erected in 1904 by the British Antarctic Expedition in memory of T. Vince, a member of that expedition who died in the vicinity. Not far from the bottom of the hill we decided a little *sledding* was called for. With a running start we dove onto our backs and slid as far as the momentum would take us. I felt like a kid in North Dakota all over again.

After descending we took a brief tour of the station. I found the recreation building that houses the bowling alley, the arts and crafts room, the bouldering cave and the ceramics room; the sports gym where volleyball, basketball, indoor hockey and dodgeball are played and where the climbing wall and weight room are housed; the aerobics gym with treadmills and spin bikes, etc.; the library; and of course the 3 local *night clubs*.

I returned to my dorm and was reminded by my Latvian friend, George, that a sauna is always in order after a hike like that. A wise man that George.

Tomorrow I begin work. So far this has felt a lot like summer camp in Antarctica. That may or may not change with the onset of work, but it’s been kind of nice to have no agenda. However, I am really looking forward to further exploring the territory on wheels and to meet the folks who are coming and going from this big block of ice.

see more of my photos at: http://ej.smugmug.com



Tags:

4 Responses to “First Full Day at McMurdo (Sunday, October 9th)”

  1. Todd Courtney Says:

    erica,

    wow, what a place. good to see your mug pictures also. i have no dout that you will have an amazing time and experience unimaginable adventures. Hopefully, you will find that something or other that you are searching for. it maybe hard to find, it could be there or here or just about anywhere! 😉 anyway, have fun and i’ll be enjoying the pics. dude, ed and tami on the US tour, erica on the world (wherever) tour, i need to get goin’ somewhere!

    take care,

    todd

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Kevin Belden Says:

    Erica,
    It’s funny how time is. It seems like yesterday we we’re having drinks and cake at your party and now your in a place where before i got your pics I could only imagine what it was like. What an amazing adventure, although it must be reminiscent of North Dakota winters. I know I could have used one of those big red coats in WI winters. I agree with George also that a sauna is good anytime for a good cleansing of the skin. Sweat is probalby a rare occurance down there.. Look forward to hearing more about your travels and adventures.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. tracy Says:

    hey babe,

    It’s me loverboy… I just wanted to say from all of us who have found ourselves slaves to the man and the system… you are our freedom. Kind of like Nemo or whatever his name was in the Matrix. Keep it real and i hope you liked the pic’s from the party..

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Michel Says:

    Hi Erica,
    Congratulations you did it again…… another adventure !
    Looking forward to your blog updates.

  8. Posted from Netherlands Netherlands
  9. CJ Smith Says:

    So?! Have you DRIVEN Ivan the Terra yet?? What a butch ride 😉

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Kre and Fred Says:

    Erica!!!
    Great blog – Great pictures!
    Thanks for keeping us up to date on your travels.
    Keep that camera down your pants so that it stays warm enough to take more pictures!!
    XXOO,
    Kre and Fred

  12. Posted from United States United States