BootsnAll Travel Network



Buenos Aires

After a few restful days in Punta Arenas I set off for Buenos Aires, Argentina, the city that never sleeps. Home of the tango!

I fell in love with the city. How could I not with its strong undercurrents of Latin music and dance and… romance. I spent four days walking around and in and out of its colorful and unique neighborhoods taking in the people and the sights and sounds of this bustling city. Street fairs, parks, museums, theatres and milongas (bars where tango is performed) abound. Dinner is served late by American standards, usually 9:00pm or later, and the clubs don´t begin to fill until 1 or 2:00am, finally closing their doors after sunrise. I never did manage to experience the nightlife of Buenos Aires as such. After long days of wandering the streets I could barely stay awake long enough to catch dinner!

My last night in town I finally arranged to catch a tango show at the Museo del Tango with two others from my hostel, Barbara and Francois. Rather than visit one of the touristy and flashy milongas we opted for a more traditional experience, or so we hoped. It was certainly my most memorable evening in BA. Sure, the dancing was mesmerizing, the singing heart felt, but it was the crowd that had us nearly falling off our seats in laughter that we found most entertaining. We were easily the youngest in the audience by at least forty years. In their fanciest evening wear the crowd stared longingly at the performers while mouthing every word to each song from their seats. By the end of the two hour show a few were having difficulty staying awake. One woman sat upright, head bowed, eyes closed, only to spring to life when her dessert was placed in front of her.

Afterwards the performers and a couple dance instructors took to the crowd giving these “old timers” the opportunity to show us young ones that the art of dance is ageless. The years only added to their grace and ease with which they moved across the floor. A few of us were a little more reluctantly dragged on to the dance floor. This is how I met Jose. He was a dance instructor which was made evident in the way he led. Although I may not have looked it, I felt as though I had been dancing tango for years. And so I was convinced to spend my last morning in Buenos Aires letting Jose patiently teach me the rhythm and movement of this sultry dance. I left intoxicated, floating through the streets with a smile on my face and tango pulsating in my heart.



Tags:

5 Responses to “Buenos Aires”

  1. Ruth Hampton Says:

    Hi Miss Erica!

    I am glad to hear you are well, and your journey, from the bits you have written, sound like a wonderful experience.

    Did you ever get to Africa? I might have missed that entry!
    Take care my friend,
    Ruth

  2. Posted from India India
  3. Matt S Says:

    Erica Joy…I’m glad to see you are doing well and still traveling the world. We’ll have a toast to you while back home for Russel’s wedding reception.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Rebecca Says:

    Hey Erica!

    Really enjoying the blog. The photos of Chile were beautiful. I’m inspired. 🙂

    Winter here trudges bleakly along… But we had our first Condition 1 yesterday! It was pretty intense, and now there’s lots of snow to shovel. Woo, snow!

    Can’t wait to hear more of your adventures!

    – Rebecca

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Tim Says:

    Love the posts… hope you can find your way to the computer again soon! The pictures from Patagonia were insane…

    Have a blast in SE Asia… give me a shout if you want any feedback for Cambodia, Thailand, Lao, or Singapore.

    Be safe, be happy!
    Tim

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Erik Says:

    Erica,

    I looks like you’re having a great time, and I don’t even have a good aurora experience to share from the S. Pole.

    I’m looking forward to hearing more about your adventures, and maybe follow in your footsteps when I get off the ‘Ice’.

  10. Posted from United States United States