BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangkok

I arrived in Bangkok unsure whether I would stay until the end of July as my ticket had me scheduled to do, or save southeast Asia until the end of my journey and head to India as soon as possible (I’ve been quite anxious to get there). I heard from a reliable source at my guesthouse that it would only take 5 days to get my visa for India. That was all it took to make up my mind. I hopped on the Sky Train to the American Airlines office and requested to change my departure date. June 19th was the earliest availability. Done. The next day I submitted my visa application and was told it would be ready for pick up on the 14th. That gave me 6 days to kill in the meantime. Just my luck I bumped into a French-Canadian woman at the embassy who was headed south to the island of Kho Pangan and suggested I join her. I wouldn’t have considered venturing that far with so little time otherwise, but it seemed like a fine idea with someone familiar with the area. Kho Pangan had been highly recommended to me so I thought it a perfect opportunity to at least check it out for future reference.

It is indeed a beautiful island. We stayed at Had Yuan beach where I spent my days alternating between being cradled in a hammock and being immersed in the warm sea. I also visited the neighboring beach of Had Thien for yoga in the mornings and late afternoons. Each month the famed full moon party takes place on the island drawing crowds between 7,000 and 10,000 strong. Although tempted, I opted to spend the night alone enjoying the bright night from the hammock on the balcony outside my bungalow.

Had Yuan beach
Had Yuan beach

view from bungalow
View from my bungalow

Had Thian
Had Thian, neighboring beach

After a few days of sun and tranquility I was itchin’ to get back to the city. There was still much to see and do before departing for India. I spent many hours perusing the various markets in Bangkok including Chatuchak, the world’s largest open air market. All of your shopping needs, and I mean all of them, can be met here. If you like 711 slurpees, having your teeth cleaned, cheap spicy food, stray dogs, and thai massage, then rest assured you are never more than a few steps away from happiness.

I also took a day to visit Wat Pho, the oldest and largest wat (Buddhist temple) in Bangkok and home to the largest reclining Buddha.

Reclining Buddha

Reclining Buddha

And the Grand Palace & Wat Phra Kaeo…

The Royal Pantheon
Standing guard outside the Royal Pantheon

Weight in gold
Worth its weight in gold

Painting
Painting along the walls of Hor Phra Gandhararat

Phra Siratana Chedi
Phra Siratana Chedi

Emerald Buddha
The Royal Monastery of the Emerald Buddha

By far the most memorable and enjoyable experience I had in Bangkok was the view from my ring-side seat at the Thai Boxing Stadium. Although you wouldn’t catch me dead (or alive) at a boxing match back home, thai boxing (Muay Thai) is considered, and more closely resembles, a martial art (which I am grossly fascinated with and have a great respect for). The art of Muay Thai has been the country’s most popular spectator sport for hundreds of years. The power of these boxers, weighing in at as little as 105 pounds(!), was nothing short of magnificent. I was absolutely mesmerized!

The Wai Kru (respects to the teacher) also known as Ram Muay (boxing dance) is an important part of any evening watching Thai Boxing. These are ceremonies that are performed before each Muay Thai bout. Sometimes the Wai Kru was brief and basic, other times more elaborate. Either way it was beautiful to watch. Teachers are highly respected in Thai society, and many artistic disciplines, not just Muay Thai, perform Wai Kru or “respects to the teacher”.

Wai Kru…

Boxing

Action shots!

Boxing

Boxing

Boxing

Me and the champion!

Boxing

see more photos at: http://ej.smugmug.com



Tags:

Comments are closed.