BootsnAll Travel Network



Skibbereen inbetween.

Ooo Im a slacker. I’ll slap myself on the hand. Leaving you all in suspenders wondering if Im dead or alive. Im sure you’re all worried sick. Dont blame you. But rest assured I am alive – a sluggish sort of alive at times but alive nonetheless.
So while you’ve been going out of your minds with worry Ive been from Kilkenny to Cork to Dingle with Skibereen inbetween. Last Saturday ? all the days blend into one here. I left Kilkenny for Cork, catching a ride with A – thats the English young Jonathan Creek lookalike. We neared Cork around midday and decided to head out to Blarney to see Blarney Castle and to kiss the dreaded Blarney Stone. Dreaded because who knows whats lurking on a stone millions of people have slobbered on. The castle itself is awesome. Not restored this one, and complete with dungeons and murderhole where boiling liquids were poured from a great height on invaders below – now this is what I came to Ireland to see. Dungeons, murderholes and slobbery stones.

We walked up several spiral staircases through the remains of the castle (excellent view from the top) to join the queues of other people keen to slobber on the stone. Now before I came to Ireland I had no intention of ever kissing the Blarney stone but I figured I was there and I’d paid NZ$14 to get in, may as well come away with something (no meningitis thanks). I began to assess the throngs around me, trying to pick out signs of any particularly hazardous bacterium so as to position myself so I am at least 7 seconds away when it comes to kissing the stone. The good old 7 second rule. Nothing evident to the naked eye but these things can go unrecognized. I was hoping there’d be a scanning process by way of cheekswab testing just before you get to the stone but there wasnt. And as this was a spur of the moment sidetrip, I hadnt had time to purchase any mouthwash – or industrial strength disinfectant. The moment of truth came as I approached the kissing stone. Adam went first, stood up, no sweating,tumbling or projectile vomiting – a good sign. My turn next. The process for slobbering on the stone is such: You lie flat on your back and inch yourself backwards, so as to hang upside down over a hole near the wall of the castle View image
. A guide holds you, you pucker up and plant a big wet one on a stone the size of a brick . I thought it would be much bigger – I hoped it would be much bigger – less chance of another bout of French bird flu, or American bird flu as it would most likely have been in this case. A stone so small can hardly remain sterile with so much slobber. Anyway I did it. And so far so good – though as I said these things can go unrecognized you know.I’ll keep you posted.

A and I arrived in Cork that afternoon and stayed in Bru bar and Hostel. A nice place, brand new but rather sterile in terms of hanging out with other travellers. And thats a bad sort of sterile. While there we met up with D, one of the ‘bloody Aussies’ from Kilkenny. Went on a search for traditional Irish music that night and ended up listening to some 90’s heavy metal band. They were awesome…I’ll take 90’s heavy metal over traditional Irish music anyday …. not. But good company. Stayed another night or two in Cork but the weather was miserable and there doesnt seem to be anything much in Cork. Oh actually D and I did catch a bus out to Kinsale, a little fishing town, and walked out to see Charles Fort which was amazing. Its right on the sea and huge. It was used to fight someone from somewhere back in the day – (go look it up if you really want to know), then used again in WW2, then occupied by a bunch of hippies in the 60’s – that I do remember. But you can peer out to sea through the watch towers and the gaps where the cannons were (whatever those gaps are called) and pretend you’re under attack. Very cool and reccomended.

So after Cork, I was intending on heading down and around the coast and up towards Dingle where I planned to spend Easter with Lex, Kane and co (friends over from London for the weekend). The bloody Aussie who has become my current travelling buddy and I chose Skibbereen (which is inbetween) just on a whim, to spend a day in or so before carrying on to Dingle. Well theres not much to see in Skibbereen but the name is cool. We had to hike 2kms from the town out to an adventure park hostel for the night. It was a great place to stay, and the guy looking after it was the only one there so we played cards and guitar most of the night then hiked back into town the next day and caught a bus back to Cork. It turns out buses dont go down and around the coast and to get to Dingle we had to catch a bus from Cork. So Skibbereen inbetween ended up being a bit of an expensive excursion because of the bus trips but if I hadnt have gone I wouldnt be able to keep saying Skibereen inbetween. So I’d say it was well worth it.

So finally to the present day. Its a beautiful day in Dingle. The best yet. Blue skies and a sea breeze. Yesterday I caught up with Lex, Kane, and their friends Jason, Amy and Min. Escapades so far include taking a boat trip out to see Funghi (like mushrooms) the dolphin, the local celebrity – just like real tourists. And a trip up into the hills, stopping for an icecream (you should have seen Lex’s face light up), stopping again at a waterfall, where we soon found out just who and who was not destined to be a world famous rock-climber – Lex utilizing the everpopular ‘bum-sliding’ technique as method of descent, and stopping again at a beach reminiscent of Papamoa. Not bad surf either. I took a photo for you Dad. Today is Easter Saturday and the pubs are open again so should be a fun night to be had by all – hopefully with plenty of local sounds. Stay tuned.



Tags:

12 responses to “Skibbereen inbetween.”

  1. Mammy says:

    Alas! where did we go wrong sending an uneducated daughter into the wild blue yonder! For all you geeks out there, Jonathan CREEK is the hairy detective on Channel One ( we don’t watch Channel one now that Em has left but I hear a new series has started… ) and Jonathan SWIFT wrote Gulliver’s Travels ….how does Em know what HE looks like I fear to ask……..but then she has kissed the blarney stone…….

  2. Em says:

    Yeah, Jonathan Creek, thats what I said. 😉 hehe.

  3. Ang says:

    I’m glad you have both cleared that up for all us – was fearful I was really missing out on something but now I need not be afraid as Creek or Swift, am really quite glad I don’t know who either is 🙂 Have your lips shrivelled up yet em? Ahhhh the memories….Lex and Icecream………… 🙂

  4. Ro says:

    Can tell your Mum was a nurse with all that fear of germs drilled into you. No offence Mrs Armstrong.
    I thought dirt was good for you. Maybe you should get back up there and give that stone a real good pash this time. He he ….Pash.
    Or maybe that was saved up for your travelling companions, and gertrudes longed for babies are on the way.

  5. Mammy says:

    No offence taken but what’s this WAS at nurse…I’m not in my dotage yet ( you guys can all look up that word in the dictionary).
    I have to say the fear of germs comes from her pappy (Irish for Daddy)…he’s the one who won’t eat the corner of the sandwich cos that’s where he’s been holding it and won’t eat the end of the ice-cream cone……….. I LOVE germs – they keep me in employment!

  6. Em says:

    mmm germs.

  7. Ro says:

    My bad.

  8. Mammy says:

    Sack cloth and ashes for you, hair- shirt vest and whip yourself…..(directed to Ro not our sweet, blameless Emily .

  9. Pappy says:

    Feel like Im reading a good book but now Ive come to a whole lot of blank pages – we’re all waiting for the next exciting installment and frankly you didnt need to kiss the stone to be good at the old blarney. Anyway Easter at Wanga – good surf the first day. On my own again now with
    Marion and Gen at Mardi so thought Id drop you a line( will figure out your email address one day soon ).
    Keep in touch
    Luv Dad

  10. cabbage says:

    Starting a movement – bring back the Daddster

  11. Nardz says:

    OMG the “wanga” phenomenon runs in the family!!! 😛

  12. Em says:

    Yeah, where do you think I got it from? 😉 Wanga, wanga wanga – annoying??