BootsnAll Travel Network



Mmm noodles.

Well, I can honestly say that changing beds is not my vocation in life. Though I can also tell you that 60 odd in one morning will give you a hell of a workout – something I probably am in need of after all the good food I’ve been getting here. And it is good. J is a great cook. And Mum Ive been getting lots of grains and pulses and other healthy things so dont you worry bout a thing. And plenty of salt. The Irish like salt. But Im working hard for the priviledge of hardening my arteries.

Just for your information, generally my working day goes something like this:
9.00 Breakfast cleanup
10-12.30ish showers, toilets, kitchen, floors – lotsnlots of bleach.
1-6 Do stuff. Go for a walk and get lost like usual. Read. buy chocolate. Eat chocolate. Play guitar. Wish for more chocolate. Get bored.
6.30-9ish Crazy dinner prep for 60 starving students, dinner cleanup including like, 2 straight hours of doing dishes. Arrgh dishes.
9 – 11pm Think and talk about going to the pub, then feel too tired and go to bed.

Early this morning, on another glorious rainy, haily, sleety, sunny day, the army of first year architect students departed. And the complete and utter sterilization of the hostel began.So today provided a little variation, what with the changing of the sheets, and a wealth of little treasures to be discovered, some of which I will soon reveal to you.

Despite being told the first night they arrived no alcohol was to be drunken on the premises, I think every night included at least one session of dowsing the kitchen in beer, making for a lovely smell and a delightfully sticky floor every morning. And the teachers were pathetic. They’d head off down to the pub and leave the Irish youngsters to reek (literally) havoc. (And Im sooo glad I bought a pair of earplugs in Galway).

We hadnt been in their rooms for four days but werent suprised to find bottles and cans aplenty, aswell as a frisbee,old food, socks – worn i’d assume, and the lovely smells that accompany such things. (I dont think the frisbee smelt that much).

Other finds worth mentioning include:

a basin full of noodles – interesting because we’d had noodles for dinner the night before and these were relatively intact, leaving me to ponder whether these particular noodles had been previously consumed and then violently un-consumed, or whether someone had just thought it would be fun to smuggle some noodles from their plate and wash them in the basin.

a total of EU1.73 – interesting because thats a whole EU1.73! woohoo! But sharing’s caring round here so that went in the tip jar. Still exciting though. And interesting.

One week down, another 12 to go, as Ive decided to stay through summer – I aint got no money to go anywhere else. And I would like to think Ive been through the worst of it….Oh no G and J tell me – you wait. Great.
It’ll be pretty much full time, with some days doing the above sort of stuff and others manning reception. And the best part is I’ll get paid so I wont be doing it just for the love of it. I have a dorm bed here for free, but I think I’ll go crazy after a few weeks or so – its hard to do anything when all you’ve got is a bed to yourself cept play guitar, read and eat chocolate on it – so Im thinking of renting a room, despite the extra cost. That’ll mean I might also be in a position to get a bit of painting done and sucker a few tourists.

Im looking forward to the tourists. The only people I know here so far are Swedish A my roommate and co-toilet cleaner, G who tells me what to do and Some Island Far Away J (dont forget the funny dot things) who also tells me what to do. Oh and theres M from the supermarket who likes to say ‘Hey New Zelander!’ ‘Hello New Zealander!’ everytime I go in there (for chocolate of course). So if anyone wants to come visit and keep me company….I’ll give you the royal tour of Inishmor, with authentic reinactments of how to stumble around and get yourself lost alot.

Tomorrow Im off back on the ferry to Galway for a few days to sort out serious tax issues, stock up on important supplies (better chocolate) and hopefully prepare myself somewhat for the months ahead. Geez I sound like Im going to the North Pole or something. Its just I’ll be working 7 days and its such an ordeal to get off the island. The ferry is 40 minutes (and 10EU) then its an hour bus trip into the city…… Oh stop complaining and get over it why dont I.



Tags:

One response to “Mmm noodles.”

  1. Em says:

    I guess the title of this entry wasnt enticing enough. Dont you all like noodles? I even added an ‘Mmmm’ to make them sound nicer.