BootsnAll Travel Network



Up yours!

The weather was OK this afternoon, so I set off across town to the Petronas Twin Towers—the tallest buildings in the world. From the sky bridge, on the 41st floor, Kuala Lumpur could really be appreciated.

The towers are at the KLCC centre. I stepped out of the Putra station and looked around, map in hand.

“Can I help you?”

“Yeah, eh, twin towers?” (feeling slightly apprehensive when saying that).

“You’re standing right in front of them. You can see better if you take the other exit from the station.”

There were a few high-ish buildings around, but nothing like New York. Surely, that could not be it?
KL buildings.jpg

I turned around and there it was. I’ve got to say that the Empire State Building looks higher, Canary Wharf more imposing. But perhaps the scale of the towers was best appreciated from closer up.
Petronas Towers.jpg

To get a (free) ticket for the sky bridge, we had to scuttle into the basement, like rats. There was a sign that no more tickets were available for the day, even though the towers had just re-opened after prayers and it would be hours yet before they would close.
closed.jpg

Oh well, up yours then. Another box ticked. It reminds me why I never bother with sight-seeing back in London. Relieved, I returned to the colourful, lively bustle of Chinatown and Little India.

***
That was about it from Kuala Lumpur for now—I’ve just booked a ticket to Taman Negara (a combined bus and boat ride) leaving early tomorrow. I’m not likely to be near an internet café until I’m back in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore which could be in anything from 3-5 days. There is no point in dithering: it’s my once in a lifetime opportunity to visit SE Asia’s premier rainforest reserve

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.