BootsnAll Travel Network



Eco-Tourism: The Element Of Guilt

Ornamental Offering Pot?

It was a little early for lunch but I felt peckish, so I stopped at the village of Lang Kow for some chilled soy milk and peanuts.

I bought the soy milk because it came in a glass bottle, remembering the Professor’s disdain for plastic. Perhaps the bottle would be recycled. I narrowly avoided the straw and plastic bag that came with it, drawing a surprised look from the man at the counter as I dropped the thing into my daypack.

There was seating outside the shop, so I decided to drink the soy milk there instead of carrying it back to the resort, by which time it would be warm again. Besides, I didn’t think that soy milk was on the menu.

It was rich and refreshing and not too sweet. Finishing it too quickly, I regarded the empty bottle. Should I put it into my bag and smuggle it into the resort to put with the recycling crates? Would it be obvious that I’d put it there? Would it matter?

A rivulet of liquid ran down from the rim, congealing in the hot sun.

Perhaps the shop had a recycling crate.

It didn’t. It had a large bin instead. With a guilty pang, I put the bottle inside.

I got back, sweaty from my walk, and ordered an ice-cold soda.

It came with a plastic straw 🙂

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.