BootsnAll Travel Network



Stout, steak and kidney pie

Autum is here. The trees on the hills are blushing with the first colours of fall, mist creeps into the valley at night and the time has come for warm, comforting dishes.

Stout, steak and kidney pie with celeriac mashed potatoes and braised red cabbage

675 g chuck steak; 225 g ox kidney; oil; 1 onion; 1 stalk celery; oil; 2 tsp fresh thyme; 2 bay leaves; 100 g mushrooms; 1TB tomato pureè; 250 ml beef stock; 250 ml stout (e.g. Guiness) dash Worcester sauce; salt & pepper; 2TB butter; 2 TB flour; shortcrust pastry (I buy it in — less messy); milk/egg to glaze
If the kidney is particularly oungent, soak it in milk for a few hours (in the fridge) before rinsing. Trim and chop and dry it. Cut the meat into 2cm cubes.
Seal the meat in batches in a heavy pan and set aside. Melt the butter in the pan until it foames, scraping up the residue. Take off heat and stir in the flour until dissolved to make a roux. Set aside.
Chop the onion and fry to soften in a large pot. Finely chop the celery and add with the mushrooms and kidneys. Fry ca. 3 minutes longer then add the thyme and bayleaf and fry another minute. Stir in the tomato pureè, pepper and the roux then add the stock, stiring vigorously, and the stout. Add the meat and a dash of Worcester sauce. Cover and simmer gently for 1.5h. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Transfer the stew to a 1.5l pie dish. Roll out the pastry to form a lid, cut off a thin strip and work it around the rim of the dish. Brush with milk or egg and lay on the pastry lid. Seal the edges, brush and cut in a few slits or a coin-sized hole to let the steam escape. If desired, decorate with leaf-shapes cut from leftover pastry. Bake 200° C 30 minutes.

Serve with celeriac mashed potatoes (boil potatoes and a small celeriac, mash with butter, créme frâiche, salt, white pepper and a sprinkling of dry mustard) and braised red cabbage or steamed green vegetables.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.