BootsnAll Travel Network



Pigeon Point

On the Way To Pigeon Point

The road to Pigeon Point is idyllic, but the heritage park itself is a disappointment. They have turned the only access to the reef into a marina and watersports spot.

I left the dreary tourist facilities behind and sneaked around to Bon Accord Lagoon. Abandoned fishing boats were bobbing on the water, secured to coconut palms with long strings which tightened in the frequent gusts, so I had to watch my step. Today’s conditions made this a paradise for kitesurfers, one of whom was zipping along the horizon.

Snorkelling here would be hazardous.

This is the first time that I have come to a coral reef that is practically fenced off from visitors. Swimming is only allowed within the buoys that line the beach a mere ten metres from shore. I understand that the glass bottom boats have to stay close to the beach to preserve the coral, but they could have spared us a small spot.

Tobago isn’t geared towards the budget traveller, and Crown Point least of all.

I headed back to the main beach and ordered a salad, contemplating my next move. Before long, one of the sleek, short-haired local cats approached the table. It was a scrawny looking thing, begging for food in the way of cats everywhere. It blinked at me.

“I’m sorry I just have salad,” I said, “you won’t like it…” and reached for my camera.

It wasn’t there.

I must have left it in the internet café, half an hour’s walk back to town (I timed it; there are no route taxis here. The locals aren’t interested in a ten thousand-year old coral reef and it looks like the beach bums aren’t either).

I wasn’t worried yet, but this was annoying.

Could I have left it in my room? I remembered digging around in my daypack when I was looking for my pills this morning. (I wasn’t having a good time in that ridiculous honeymoon suite on my own and just wanted to be somewhere to chill and write. Sensing a depression coming on, I put the goddamn pills were I could see them.) The camera must still be on the bed.

I had a feeling that my afternoon was over, but there was nothing I could do about that, so I headed back—and out again when it transpired that I’d left the camera in the internet café when I took out my Asus. They’d kept it safe for me.

Phew.

All that gear is shackling me down, but I wouldn’t want to be without the camera. Today I should be able to get some nice shots.

Tags: , , ,



2 Responses to “Pigeon Point”

  1. frednlisa Says:

    If you are able to, head to Charlotteville and stay on the cliff overlooking Pirate’s Bay. A fabulous location ($25/night) – we stayed there during Christmas 2003. Hopefully, it wasn’t washed away with the hurricane that hit Tobago a couple of years ago.

  2. Denni Says:

    Wow, thanks! I’ll check it out 🙂

    Should be able to head to Charlotteville and have the real fun begin as soon as my bank account recovers.