BootsnAll Travel Network



New Year in Tana Toraja

Actually, Tadley did manage to throw a good party. We were let in the pub despite not having collected the tickets, and while there was drunkenness, there was no fighting. We all hugged each other. John and I toasted the New Year with Lagavulin and there was a nice fireworks display outside. It didn’t rain. For the first time in many days, we could see the stars.

But I digress. I want to write about New Year’s Day 2006.

Toraja, rice shed

Toraja rice barn (Lumbung)


“Selamat tahun baru!”

This was a phrase I would hear often on this day. The woman who was first to greet me in this way carried a bible in her hand. Mass had just finished.

“It means a peaceful new year!”

She taught me and soon I was able to greet others before they did. Smiles and hugs were exchanged with complete strangers. Except that, in Tana Toraja, I didn’t feel like a stranger.

On this morning, the area appeared even more like a fantasy kingdom. For the first time in days, the sun had broken through and I set off for a walk, hoping to reach a village famous for its rock tombs, high up on the slopes of a mountain.

Flowers blossomed everywhere among the striking and beautifully decorated buildings. On this special day, it felt like I was walking through a fairytale land. And everyone smiled.

But the mountain went on. Higher and higher and then, around a bend on the winding road, I could see the summit ahead—as far away as ever.

I walked past a playing field from where kids shrieked and waved at me. A woman ran out of her house and called. We hugged and exchanged New Year wishes, then she asked whether I could stop by for a chat on my way back, so she could practice her English.

“Of course, I see you soon!” I smiled.

The road wound on, and still there was no end in sight. I began to wonder whether I would make it all the way to the top, when a rusty van pulled up beside me. I was more than happy to accept the ride, but I know that it is customary to contribute to fuel, and I only carried a measly 5000 rupiah in my pocket. The driver waved me on anyway. 5000 rupiah was about the same amount as the locals paid, so perhaps I shouldn’t feel so bad, but I was the only person sitting in the back. As the road deteriorated and the van scraped over exposed rocks and nearly slid backwards down the almost vertical, gravel-strewn slopes, I felt single-handedly responsible for the wear-and-tear imposed by the driver’s heartfelt obligation to offer a lift to a pudgy foreigner.

However, needn’t have worried. In the next village, a whole gaggle of people were waiting for the vehicle to drive them back to Rantepao. That seemed a good idea. Alas, I was out of money. So I thanked the driver, wished the new passengers a happy new year and climbed out.

I looked around me. We were still nowhere near the top of the mountain. But the scenery was fabulous. If only I had change for a bottle of water…

Toraja Rice Terraces

A trickling stream solved that particular problem. I was glad that I had not filled my waterbottle with Tuac (palm wine) which literally flooded the market that morning—I had certainly been tempted—and that I always carry chlorine tablets when travelling in the tropics.

Out here, despite the scattered villages, the land appeared rugged and wild.

Toraja

I passed what might have been ancient graves, or just rocks. Bamboo and bush gave way to clustered houses with their distinctive rice barns, their roofs symbolising the horns of a buffalo.

Toraja Village

Around the next bend, there would be jungle, or a slope fringed with rice terraces. But the top of the mountain was no closer.

Eventually, the houses thinned, and I walked mainly past smallholdings.

Toraja: Buffalo and Grave

A buffalo, revered symbol of Toraja, chained in front of a traditional rock tomb

Taking a look at the sky, I decided to turn back. I had no idea how long it would take me to return to Rantepao after accepting that lift, and I had to get back in good time before dark.

I remembered the woman. Would I recognize her house?

It took about two hours walking through the exotic landscape before I came back to the road and recognized the scenery from before when I climbed on that van.

Toraja, Village Road

That was fortunate, because by now it was about four in the afternoon. What was more: dark clouds had begun to gather on the horizon. If I hurried, I might get back just before the monsoon broke.

Rainclouds over Toraja

Not far now. There was the playing field. If only…

The kids were like sentinels. They came running, shouting and waving. I waved back and wished the ground would open up and swallow me. Alas, there was no escape.

“Ah, there you are! Come in!”

Damn.

Normally, I don’t begrudge locals practicing their English, but when I emerged from the house thirty minutes later (most of which were filled with an awkward silence while I struggled with my twenty words of Bahasa, trying to say something nice to the woman’s mother and brother), I realised that I was half an hour too late.

It was about a forty-five minute walk back to town. And a quarter of an hour later, the sky opened.

Toraja in the Monsoon

About ten minutes after that, the by now well-paved road flooded and water seeped over my ankles and into my water-proof boots. Another five minutes and I stopped caring as I reached the outskirts of Rantepao. The rain, hammering down in big sheets, drowned out almost all sounds.

“Selamat tahun baru!” I bellowed from the top of my lungs to those who could hear, and grins flashed at me through the grey veil of water.

Tags: , ,



Comments are closed.